Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach rejects pay increases for politicians?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

OK not ours :p but can you imagine Bertie saying this? :rolleyes:
    "The recommendations for significant pay rises will be rejected. It is very important that we send a message to nurses and police and all these people in the public sector... It is very important in this year that we break the back of inflation. In future years, we will do better by the police, we can do better by nurses and teachers, we will do better by the army."
    Obviously not from today's confessional in Sindo but from across the water. Seems we could still learn a thing or two from them.

Full story here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

In most countries, trying to sneak in a forty grand pay rise (well above the average annual wage) for yourself and hiding it with some baldly transparent bullshit about knocking half the drivers off the roads in a couple of days would get you lynched at the crossroads. Why it hasn't happened here is anyone's guess.

Every time I look at that simpering lackey of king Haughey on the telly I get an overwhelming urge to reach for a pitchfork and some torches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Bertie Ahern is disgusting. You'd think he'd have something inside him that would say 'hold on maybe I shouldn't take a 40k pay rise' while telling everyone else to tighten their belts. Anyway..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

/sharpens pitchfork, dips torch in gasoline and reaches for lighter...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Too many silly people voted him back into office, and since he hasn't the decency to resign, we're stuck with the idiot who wears way too much make-up for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I love it, the outrage was displayed at a 2.8% raise...

What percentage did Bertie and the Boys give themselves~?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A people get the government they deserve. We had the chance to get rid of him, should have taken it, but took the easy way out and let him sneak back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Sleepy wrote: »
    I love it, the outrage was displayed at a 2.8% raise...

What percentage did Bertie and the Boys give themselves~?

Think it was about 15%, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

johnp wrote: »
    Think it was about 15%, right?
    i believe berties was 14%. Don't know about the others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

he's going to cancel the payrise.

there's all party benchmarking talks ahead soon, the unions were making demands well before the TD's payrise was announced and now that the politicians have announced theirs is "in line with the public sector" they're going to withdraw it in return for the unions dropping many of the demands they're bringing to the table.

in other words, the entire outrage the country has been feeling about this huge payrise is entirely politically premeditated.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Drop it? Last I heard it was being deferred for a year...nothing else. Open to correction on that though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement