Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading a sata laptop drive

Options
  • 06-01-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

my newest laptop has a sata hard drive in it. I assume a sata hard drive is a serial ata drive?? Now usually when i put a new hard drive in i clone the new hard drive to the old one using archonis true image using an external hard drive enclosure. Now, If i purchase a new sata hard drive i dont have a sata enclosure to put this into to to clone it? Can i clone the currently installed hard drive to a standard ide external hard drive and then boot from this usb hard drive, install the new sata drive into the laptop and then clone from the usb hard drive to the new uinstalled sata hard drive?

Hope you understand what i mean here?

If there is another easier way im open to advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

snaps wrote: »
    Hope you understand what i mean here?

Not a friggin' clue.

Edit: yes, SATA = serial ATA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Basically i want to put a bigger SATA hard drive in my laptop, but i dont have a sata hard drive enclosure to clone the original drive with? Usually when i install a new IDE hard drive i clone the original drive with a external hard drive enclosure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

A sata to usb cable would allow you to do this, or failing that a external enclosure that takes SATA disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well i understand what he means and yes.. no reason you can not do it that way.
    clone existing drive to an external usb drive. Put in new laptop drive and clone it back.

Should be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Thanks Saruman, That what i was hoping. I assume my laptop will boot from the cloned USB drive after an adjustment in the bios? Then i just clone the drive back.

Save the hassle of buying extra leads/enclosures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

snaps wrote: »
    Thanks Saruman, That what i was hoping. I assume my laptop will boot from the cloned USB drive after an adjustment in the bios? Then i just clone the drive back.

Save the hassle of buying extra leads/enclosures.

_If_ you have access to a PC and a spare sata cable - the laptop SATA hardisks have exactly the same connections as the bigger 3.5 drives.
    You could ghost the lappy disk to a file on the pc - then ghost it
    onto the blank disk - or straight new to old if you have two sata cables.

>I assume my laptop will boot from the cloned USB drive after an >adjustment in the bios? Then i just clone the drive back.

dont let Windows sees the second blank disk before you get a ghost image of it or it will give assign a drive letter to the drive of that serial number and store it in the reg- so restoring the image to the new drive you get your windows on drive F or something. There are reg keys you can delete to make xp forget about the drive if it happens.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement