Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building my very first pc :)

Options
  • 06-01-2008 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hiya everyone... im a real newbie to this, but id ike to try build my pc instead of ordering a standard model, but ive got a couple concerns im hoping someone here will be able to put my mind at ease with :)

ive got a list of components i recon will make an awesome gaming pc....
    what im worried about is will all these components be compatable with one another and are they a decent set up... are there better parts cheaper than the ones ive chosen?

im pretty confident i can put it all together but will they come with the cables, like the power cord and the ribon cable to connect the dvd drive etc....

and lastly, with the sftware busisness... im probably gonna use vista, is there any issues with the drivers... like are the graphics card drivers included in the package? and wil they run ok on vista or is xp a much safer bet... i know vista has a bad rep atm but im figuring that all the updates and new games geared towards vista... am i wrong? :S

thanks so much for the help :) im sorry is some of these questiones seem really dumb

here are the components im looking to order from dabs.ie (its a good place to get them right?)

HP Combo Drive CD-RW & DVD-ROM
    quicklinx:4DBDWS | Mfr#:DL976B In stock now €55.61 €55.61

Samsung 500GB S300 16MB 7200RPM
    quicklinx:4C0KWS | Mfr#:HD501LJ In stock now €88.72 €88.72

Dabs Value All in One Internal Card Reader USB2 Black
    quicklinx:4M5YWS | Mfr#:CR005 In stock now €12.46 €12.46

Dabs Value GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3 PCIE DUAL DVI 600/1800
    quicklinx:4S89WS | Mfr#:8800GT-H5GTCDS In stock now €230.35 €230.35

Kingston 4GB Kit
    quicklinx:3LB2WS | Mfr#:KTM2865/4G Delivery 3-5 days €267.83 €267.83

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 S775 3.0ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB
    quicklinx:4MM7WS | Mfr#:BX80557E6850 In stock now €231.08 €231.08

Asustek AM2 nForce 590SLI ATX Audio Dual VGA Lan
    quicklinx:45M1WS | Mfr#:CROSSHAIR In stock now €179.18 €179.18

Dabs Value 720W PSU Black 12cm
    quicklinx:48M1WS | Mfr#: In stock now €74.05 €74.05

Dabs Value Midi Tower 400W - Black
    quicklinx:4F2ZWS | Mfr#:8026C4 In stock now €36.85 €36.85

delivery
    (14.695kg) €23.72

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd go with a better psu, the last thing you want to cheap out on is the psu. If that thing goes it'll probably take most of your components with it.

Also you might want to go with an x38 or p35 motherboard. They are meant to be the dogs private parts.

Everything else looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

€267.83 for 4gb :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vince-sebastian

i notice this processor is cheaper, it has a slower speed but its quad core.... is this better or worse? im feeling more and more clueless by the minute :P

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz OEM

ill have a look at some cheaper ram sets and a better psu now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

There is no easy answer to that as it depends on the software. In applications where processor-intensive tasks can be split across multiple threads, you'll get a significant performance boost on multiple cores/processors. Other applications by their nature need to depend heavily on a single processor-intensive thread and you'll see little or no benefit on multiple cores/processors.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/08/dual_vs_quad/page41.html 2.66 GHz dual-core vs. 2.4 GHz quad-core
    In video-editing and 3D-rendering scenarios, the Core 2 Quad Q6600 is noticeably faster than the dual-core CPU. On the other hand, it still trails its sibling when it comes to gaming. In our benchmark suite, only one of the six games supported the additional cores, allowing the Q6600 to catch up with the E6750. Bear in mind though that upcoming gaming titles, especially those expected this holiday season, will change this situation, bringing much better quad/multi-core support to the table. Only after this happens will the quad-core processor get our recommendation, even for the gaming enthusiast.

As for cables, traditionally a case with PSU comes with a mains power lead and a bag of screws and studs (for mounting a motherboard, drives and cards). The motherboard comes with ribbon cables, SATA cables, and a USB bracket if applicable.

Advertisement