Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPS 420 or 720?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I would like some opinions on which of these systems are better, I have worked up similar specs for both, with the 720 coming out a bit more expensive, is it a better machine than the 420? Any information welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Xps 720

Pros

Case:Is much better,brillant cooling,plenty of upgrade space,cool ligths,aluminum etc

Power Supply:750watt psu (xps420 375watt),enough to power two 8800gtx's,dual hd's,couple of disc drives etc...

Overclocking:Xps 720 is a decent overclocker,its no ds3 but you can get 2.8ghz out of your 2.4ghz quad cpu with relative ease (you cant overclock xps420 its locked in the bios....

Sli:Might be important to you....

Cons

More expensive and its huge,well that might be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Thanks Squall20, it's for my 15 yo son, he seems to prefer the 420 but I think the 720 is a better machine. I have the 720 myself, got it 3 weeks ago, Dell replaced my top spec 9200 dimension with it after over 6 months of hassle with refusal to boot etc etc. It's a monster alright, but I'm very impressed with it, bit of a waste playing Neverwinter nights modules on it but I'm in the middle of a campaign!!!!! Have Crysis ready to go, will be interested to see how the 720 performs with it in comparison to Far Cry and FEAR which I played on the Dimension with no complaints (when it deigned to boot that is!).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can you OC the 720?

Can you OC the 720?

Yeah,you can do it with ntune...

What xps720 where you looking at Lanfear?

If you do order dont forget the 10% off coupon...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055210263

www.dell.ie/epp

is the cheapest

• Advertisement

Sqaull20, D017206 or D017201 depending on which graphics card we decide on. I would have preferred to go for the higher spec processor (I have the Q6850) but not at an extra €1200!!! Thanks for the heads up on the EPP, my company has bought some PC's recently from Dell, is this enough for me to qualify for this discount? Thanks for the link to the voucher too - will probably order it tomorrow if we can agree all the details. :p

Lanfear wrote: »
    Sqaull20, D017206 or D017201 depending on which graphics card we decide on. I would have preferred to go for the higher spec processor (I have the Q6850) but not at an extra €1200!!! Thanks for the heads up on the EPP, my company has bought some PC's recently from Dell, is this enough for me to qualify for this discount? Thanks for the link to the voucher too - will probably order it tomorrow if we can agree all the details. :p

You dont need to work for dell or get your company involved,when asked for a company name when you go to pay give Bank Of Ireland,AIB or HSE....

You could probably overclock the Q6600 to 3.0ghz on the xps720 if your daring....I have a xps710 at just under 3.0ghz on a Q6700,with room to spare I think....

The D017206 comes to €1463 after the coupon,it has more storage and more ram (cheap ram)

The D017201 is €1201,it has dual 8800gt which is a nice bit faster than a single 8800gtx....I would go for this one myself,add the ram yourself,you can get 4gb good quality ram for €90 delivered,much faster than the dell ram

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4KZM&CategorySelectedId=11150&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11150,4294953829,4294959063,405050000

Have you looked at overclockers Ultima pc,that has Q6600 clocked to QX6950?

It includes a class samsung 22" monitor too,not cheap but a nice system...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-052-OK&groupid=43&catid=967&subcat=

Works out at about €1630 delivered I think

Thanks for all the advice, have gone with the 720, got it for €2221 which was over 10% discount on the following configuration;

Dimension XPS 720 Core 2 Quad-Core Processor Q6600 (2.4GHz,1066FSB, 8MB cache)
    4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [4x1024MB] Memory
    SINGLE 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    PCI Card Ageia PhysX 128MB
    19-in-1 Media Card reader with Bluetooth
    Lexar 1GB JumpDrive FireFly Memory Key (Blue)
    Hard Drive 1TB Serial ATA Raid 0 "Stripe" (2x500GB) (7200 Rpm) Dual HDD Config
    16x DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD Drives
    UK/Irish Wide Flat Panel E228WFP 22" Black
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme VISTA
    UK/Irish Speakers External Zylux Dell A525 Silver/Black spks + Subwoofer
    English Windows Vista Ultimate

Ordered this evening, delivery on or before 16th, my son is thrilled - ok, he's 15, thrilled is probably not the right description! :p

I know I could have got a cheaper version from the UK or Germany but I really prefer to deal with a company in Ireland, important if something goes wrong as is what happened with my high spec dimension 9200 which gave nothing but trouble and which Dell eventually replaced (just before xmas) with the XPS 720 that I have now, no complaints from me, brand new pc with an even higher spec (QX8650 processor) than the dimension so it's worth it to me for piece of mind.

Anyhow, thanks again to everyone for all the advice, on the machines, graphics cards and for the information on the discounts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PCI Card Ageia PhysX 128MB
    Huh :eek: They talked you in2 it i bet

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Huh :eek: They talked you in2 it i bet

Eh, no. I had to specially request it in fact, its on the other 2 machines here and while not particularly useful at the moment, will be in the future for gaming. ;)

Will you adopt me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Will you adopt me?

+1!!!

Wish someone would buy me a machine like that:(.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Will you adopt me?
    LMAO!!!
    Myself and the hubbie got new high spec machines for gaming last June (SSIA - yahoo!) and the son has been asking for a new one ever since, complaining his pc was crashing and the graphics were cr&p etc etc. Eventually I told him if he did well in his Junior Cert (June 07) I would go halves with him on a new pc, as well as give him a sum of money to start his saving, the amount of money depending on results!
    He did well, kept saving and this is the result! Boo hoo hoo! Ah no, I'm pleased that he made a big effort with the Junior and also to learn the value of saving, so it's worth it from that perspective. Not to mention that I don't want him using MY machine when I've got games to play! :D

Advertisement