Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive trouble, tears on the way!

Options
  • 05-01-2008 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

Howya. I'm having some trouble with a Maxtor 500GB external hard drive. I'm operating on Vista, regrettably and connecting via USB. The first problem that arose was the computer was seeing the hard drive but I couldn't read or write on it. Now the computer won't even recognise it!

Now I've been all over the gaff looking into known problems with Maxtors and it seems I have an all new issue. I've run all diagnosticts in device manager and such to no avail, in fact, when running half the diagnostics the computer freezes and doesn't unfreeze until I disconnect the HD. Now to be honest I'm not really looking into the possibility of getting this HD working again but more so to perform any salvage operation possible. I've seen mention online of removing the memory and transferring to another HD or even taking the HD and installing into a desktop. Of all of these options rely on the HD still being healthy itself Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Mucho appreciado!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Any clicking noise coming from it? One thing you could do as you suggested is take the drive out of its casing if possible (Should be a sata connection or PATA if older) and try booting off the drive via SATA instead... If its clicking sounds to me like drive is dead :(

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Not regular but yup, we have clicking. Guess it'll have to be Data Recovery then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

niallon wrote: »
    Not regular but yup, we have clicking. Guess it'll have to be Data Recovery then! :D

i lost all my data on a 500gb seagate from dropping it, the recovery people wanted 500euro to recover it.. no thanks

With what I have on this HD, I'm gonna have to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

niallon wrote: »
    With what I have on this HD, I'm gonna have to pay!

shop about, i was quoted between 500 and 1,000. I had some of my stuff the important stuff backed up again I wasn't too bad

• Advertisement

In essence I have most of my required stuff backed up and the more I think about it, a lot of it I can live without, kinda feels good to be back in the dark ages! :D The drive is definitely badgered, had it hooked up as a slave to a desktop earlier and it crashed the whole damn thing!

Advertisement