Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I drinking?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I don't really know much about coffee (except that I couldn't live without it). I'm just trying to work what out the name for the brew I'm drinking is. Typically, I'll put a load of coffee powder, lavazza for example, into one of these

250px-Moka2.jpg

and drink a mug of the coffee it makes, with a splash of milk.

It's stronger than the coffee you would buy in shops: a friend claims that I'm drinking a mug of espresso, but I don't think that's what this is.

Wikipedia suggests the average serving from one of these machines is 30ml, and as I said, I'm drinking it by the mug, as do the rest of my family. Is this normal, or am I "overdosing"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Just how much coffee do you put in? Typically it's a desert spoon per cup on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The moka pot you pictured will make espresso, the size of the pot
    will determine the number of espresso shots it'll make in one brew.

Depending on the size of moka pot (usually indicated in cup-size on the side),
    and the amount of milk you're adding, you're most likely drinking several shots
    of espresso with a dash of milk on top. So yes it could be seen as a mug
    of espresso with some milk!

One option is to brew 2 shots of espresso and add hot (not boiling) milk to
    the espresso to make an Americano or to add some hot milk to the espresso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

nothing beats a sextuple espresso with a dash of milk.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

The moka pot you pictured will make espresso

For once I don't agree with you, Gran Hermano :D

Technically speaking, espresso has to be brewed under at least (some would say exactly) 9 bars pressure. I'm not exactly sure how much pressure builds up in a moka pot but I read somewhere it's around 2.5 bars. In any case I don't think it's anywhere near 9.

Moka pots make fine coffee, but espresso it isn't. Not really sure what I'd call it... Moka pot coffee I guess.

I would like to formally apologise for the extreme geekiness of this post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

rockbeer wrote: »
    For once I don't agree with you, Gran Hermano :D

Technically speaking, espresso has to be brewed under at least (some would say exactly) 9 bars pressure. I'm not exactly sure how much pressure builds up in a moka pot but I read somewhere it's around 2.5 bars. In any case I don't think it's anywhere near 9.

Moka pots make fine coffee, but espresso it isn't. Not really sure what I'd call it... Moka pot coffee I guess.

I would like to formally apologise for the extreme geekiness of this post :)

Thanks for the that dude, maybe you should correct the Moka article on WIKI as it states as a comparison to expresso cookers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_Express
    but vary in taste and aroma from Moka-produced espresso
    with you being a geek and all it should be straight forward (wouldnt know were to start myself)

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It has always been my understanding that a Bialetti is what the Italians
    call a stove-pot espresso machine. The Italians I know describe the
    coffee-drink the moka pot makes as an 'espresso' as opposed to a coffee.

Alfonso Bialetti himself marketed the moka pots in 1933 with the slogan 'in
    casa un espresso come al bar” (An espresso in the home just like one in the
    bar).

From a technical viewpoint it may not be brewed with the same degree of
    pressure but I'd describe it as closer to machine made espresso than any
    other type of coffee drink made with a percolator/French press. The moka-pot
    makes coffee closer to an espresso than any other alternative.

Whilst the 'Italian coffee' made with a moka-pot is not technically an espresso
    by modern machine standards,I'd still standby in what I originally said insofar
    as that the OP is pretty much drinking a mug of espresso-strength coffee.

Advertisement