Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite French Film

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Amelie, Delicatessen, the three Taxi movies...there's others just can't think of them right now :) Haven't seen Nikita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Amelie, Delicatessen, the three Taxi movies...there's others just can't think of them right now :) Haven't seen Nikita.

Nikita is very good. i won't spoil it for you.

What are the three taxi movies?

What about Three Colours Blue White and Red. They're a bit mad, to be honetst. But they are well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

L'Haine for me

Starting watching the blue one but didn't get into it. My housemate didn't help by constantly shouting that it was a stupid artsy film. The whole fade out, big 'DUN, DUN, DUN' and fade back in to the same scene was weird.

The Taxi movies are brilliant and very funny but not a lot of people agree with me on that one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0152930/

Washout wrote: »
    L'Haine for me

That is a masterpiece. Anyone who has not seen it should buy/rent it
    immediatley!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

Ya, the taxi movies for sure. I watch one of them every so often. Even before i understood french i liked them. Well only the first one was out that time. I dont know why people have such an aversion to subtitled films. Prob my favorite films ever is subtitled, City of God, in portugese.

My other favorite french films is Les rivières pourpres. I really liked the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I watched three French films over the holidays: Amélie, Les Choristes, and 8 Femmes, all on RTÉ. I had seen them before, and like each of them a lot. I find that watching the films is the best excersise for my French ear.

I might check out some of the other films mentioned in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Washout wrote: »
    L'Haine for me

Without a shadow of a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Just watched 13 Tzameti
    Don't watch if feeling low or depressed :p. I enjoyed it, made a nice difference from the predictable storylines you find in mainstream films.

Also saw Ne le dis à personne / Tell no one, very good, loved the characters, especially Bruno and the "thin scary woman" ;), would highly recommend this one. Bit like "The Fugitive", but better.

Ne le dis a personne and les choristes...both brilliant films I forgot to mention! And if you feel like watching a German film Goodbye Lenin! is good. I bought that originally because Yann Tiersen wrote the soundtrack. Saw him live-brilliant gig :) (sorry I know off the point of the thread). There's some French in The Science of Sleep. Not sure if it's classed as a French film. The director, Michel Gondry (same dude who did Eternal Sunshine) is French anyway. That's another brilliant film. They had a small budget so not much CGI is used but they still did a very good job with the effects.

• Advertisement

Goodbye Lenin! is good....

... The director, Michel Gondry (same dude who did Eternal Sunshine)quote]

Goodbye Lenin is great.

Michel Gondry always does great films or music videos with unusual effets.

I saw that French Film Subway recentely, was disappointing. Great visuals but terrible story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PG1999

La Haine, Le Roi danse, Amelie Poulain, Camera Cafe le film. J'aime bien Jean-Claude Convenant.

A very long engagement is another lovely one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

What are the three taxi movies?

A 4th one last year, T4XI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Myself, as a French, I have a bit of an aversion of French movies.
    A lot of screaming, hysteria etc...

Although we have some really kick ass funny movies. Such as "La verite si je mens". Especially the second one.

One of my favourite French movie though is certainly "Le Grand Bleu" with Patricia Arkett, Jean Reno...

Leon (French/US) was also a excellent movie with Jean Reno and Natalie Portman.

One of the problem about the French movies is that they are French and there are many things that I do not like about this.

Take some French designers/directors/actors and see what they did abroad like in the US, this is how they should be working more often.
    Take Alien 3 for example, the most stylish Alien ever. I loved the aliens swimming in the water. Was a French director.
    There are quiet a few French guys working in the US in FX/Design (Walt Disney and others), what they do is beautiful and outstanding.
    If they would have stayed in France, they would not have been able to deliver such a potential for political, budget and ethical reasons.

mick.fr wrote: »
    A 4th one last year, T4XI.

Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Depends on how you classify "French". My favourite movie by a French director is by some distance "The Fifth Element" which was great fun and I'd still happily watch it to put a smile on my face.

Apart from that, no one has mentioned Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources. Strange.

I have them on DVD but still haven't watched them though I've heard they're brilliant. Might bring out the Ben and Jerries and watch Jean de Florette tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

La Haine without a doubt, my favourite movie ever.

Baise Moi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

Any good?

absolutely not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

[SIZE=-1] Though not French, it's a Belgian Francophone flick : 'C'est arrivé près de chez vous' aka. 'Man bites dog' is one awesome, though violent film.

Also, '[/SIZE][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]À Bout de souffle' is great, even if it's just to see Jean Seberg :).
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

"le han" c'est magnifique :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

J'adore le Parapluies de Cherbourg, Bob le flambeur, Riffifi, le Samurai, la cercle rouge et tout la film du Claude Chabrol:cool:

La Haine est formidable aussi:)

scruff321 wrote: »
    "le han" c'est magnifique :)

"La Haine" even.

Great film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

The one thing that slightly jibes about the film is that one of the guys three guys living in the banlieue ghetto is Jewish.

This is a complete anomaly in comparison to real life, since most Jews live in the wealthy and conservative 16th arrondissement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Dasilva94 wrote: »
    The one thing that slightly jibes about the film is that one of the guys three guys living in the banlieue ghetto is Jewish.

This is a complete anomaly in comparison to real life, since most Jews live in the wealthy and conservative 16th arrondissement.

Dont know much about the subject myself but would it never happen?

Ghettoes like that are usually melting pots of ethnic diversity. I dont think a big thing was made about Vinc'es Jewishness either, rather it was just one small aspect of his character.

Definately wouldnt have any gripes about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Dasilva94 wrote: »

that is just so wrong. the banlieues are a huge melting pot with every type of creed colour and religion. a lot of the jewish community of the banlieues (fair enough, not the biggest majority in the cités) also come from the maghreb.

as for Paris, the biggest jewish community is in the 1st arrondissement, "le marais", and the 16eme has many jewish but it is mainly "old money France" that live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

here's a few more awesome french films

le diner de cons

la grande bouffe

un elephant ce trompe enormemement

gazon maudit

la cite de la peur

french canadian: les invasions barbares

• Advertisement
Advertisement