Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best things about your job, EMTs?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm in college and my 23 year old brother lives at home. He was never into secondary school - got 400 points in his LC without doing a tap, and he's very bright just was never into the languages and crap. Anyway he's been working in a factory at home for the last 5 years and has no direction in life. He just has never found something that suited him.

I think he'd be a great Paramedic or EMT. He's bright enough, but it's up to me to convince him to give the job some serious thought. What do you think the perks of being an EMT in Ireland today are? I.E. could you list some of the perks of your job folks? I'd love to hear about your pay, benefits, lifestyle etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Id say he wouldnt have a hope judging by how you describe him, being a paramedic takes a huge amount of dedication, constant training, unsociable hours, putting up with lot of stress etc

But from what ivew heard by everyone who does it is they love it wouldnt change it for the world, making that vital differnce in peoples lives is the main thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fyr. Fytr., the OP said that his brother is very bright (got 400 points without much effort) and he just has no direction. 400 points in the leaving and he's working in a factory for 5 years? Doesn't sound right to me.

I'm not sure how you extrapolated from the OP that his brother would not be able to put up with dedication, constant training, unsociable hours, lots of stress, etc.

He completed his leaving and got a very respectable result in subjects that he had no interest in.

Having no direction is not an unusual thing. Most people without direction or an idea of what they want to do with their life end up working in jobs they don't like and getting stuck there because of mortgage, kids, etc. The OP is trying to suggest a respectable career path where his brother can realise his potential. Just because he hasn't been dreaming of being a paramedic his whole life doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

GayGAA, if you're being honest about him - Would you describe the brother as being a bit idle and lazy? That's the impression I got straight away from what you wrote, and if there's even a hint of truth in that, I'd have to agree with Fyr Fytr that he sounds far from prime material for the life of an EMT/Paramedic, for all the reasons listed already.

This thread's already gone well off topic I think, but I'll throw this in here anyway. Maybe your brother is happy with a life of mediocrity - of apparently just getting by and taking the easy way whenever he can, and you just don't get that. You wouldn't be the first. Did you ask him if he's happy with what he's doing, and where he's at in life himself? Or are you just assuming that because the life he's leading isn't what you think he should be doing, that he's wasted? Are you judging him for that?

I'd suggest that before you possibly waste any more of your time trying to convince him that a career as an EMT would be right up his street, that you go and have a chat with him to find out what he wants for himself out of life. You can't decide it for him, so don't even bother trying, as he's unlikely to listen to you and most certainly won't thank you for your efforts.

If he's not happy, you can suggest he look into life as an EMT. If he's actually genuinely interested, let him go and find out the information he needs himself - You said yourself, he's bright. What he may need is encouragement, he doesn't need an information pack from a well intentioned but nonetheless meddlesome sibling.

There comes a point where you no longer have a right to push and pull a sibling whatever way you want. Sorry - Don't mean to come across as harsh - I know you've got the right intentions, but you need to respect your brother as a grown man, who works, pays his way etc etc.

Back on topic, if you want to actually do the right thing here, you'd be asking what's the best AND THE WORST thing about working as an EMT.... Clarity only comes when there's a point of balance....

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 gayGAA

Alright :rolleyes:, my brother aside, what're the best and worst things about your jobs?

What are the 10 things you wish you knew before you applied, that you know now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

a list like ? :

dont mix ectsasy types... it makes their job harder

paramedics should be allowed to throw the bricks back

you are not supposed to laugh when a man gets a vibrator stuck up his @$$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not very helpful!

Advertisement