Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDTV bad picture quality with sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

For proper HD signal delivery to the Screen you need to use a HDMI or component cable.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Moved to HE General - More suited to that forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Im not sure what sky box you have , obviously if you have sky HD then its way better to use the HDMI , which will give you an excellent picture.

Failing that , make sure that the settings on the sky box are outputting RGB , this is in Services/settings /picture quality on your sky box. Make sure the scart video settings are on RGB

Next to check is the settings on the TV , if " Dynamic " is turned on , try switching this to normal , then move all the other picture settings to around 50% , this should improve things , then adjust from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Could be the LCD is just plain bad at displaying the picture - brother has a new Sony LCD - everything is excellent in HD - but go back to Sky or cable and the picture turns to mush

• Registered Users Posts: 32 4diarmuid

Jake. Just noticed you said built-in Freeview. Are you in the UK?

I'm in Dublin with excellent reception on a Philips 26 inch for the Irish terrestrials plus full stereo. When i go to Sky+ it's very patchy at times.

I just have the standard scart but will go buy a HDMI to see if it improves it.

The Freeview thing interests me but I don't think we can get a good enough signal in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

4diarmuid wrote: »
    Jake. Just noticed you said built-in Freeview. Are you in the UK?

I'm in Dublin with excellent reception on a Philips 26 inch for the Irish terrestrials plus full stereo. When i go to Sky+ it's very patchy at times.

I just have the standard scart but will go buy a HDMI to see if it improves it.

The Freeview thing interests me but I don't think we can get a good enough signal in Dublin!
    If it's a Sky+ box you have, a HDMI lead will be of no use, as Sky+ boxes don't have a HDMI socket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You don't mention what model your TV is. Most HDTVs take a lot of tweaking to get a good picture on SD signals. Your best bet is to go to www.avforums.com, do a search for your model number. The chances are they'll have a settings thread for it there, try some fo the settings the guys there have posted and they should drastically improve your picture

Advertisement