Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offence at the phrase/nickname "pigs"

• 05-01-2008 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

dont delete the thread its serious. im just wondering what do the resident gardai make of being called pigs, do you actually take offence to it, do ye hear it frequently do you get bad about it or does it depend on the tone used or who says it.
    i say this because i recently found out a neighbour had joined up, this self same neighbour i can recall in his more youthful teenage days was a bit of a hoodlum(nothing criminal) and happily called gardai pigs

furthermore can i ask what do gardai think of peoples attitude in general towards the gardai? i personally coming from a rural area have had to deal with local guards and found them to be useless in terms of their attitude and general competence (specifically when my house along with one or two others were burgled).on the flipside i dealt with gardai when i was assaulted and found them to be quite helpful despite lack of prosecution of any kind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

One particular Gard didn't react too happily when I said "Do you smell bacon?" to my friends as he walked past. They also don't seem to like when you wave to them when they're speeding in town at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

amacachi wrote: »
    One particular Gard didn't react too happily when I said "Do you smell bacon?" to my friends as he walked past. They also don't seem to like when you wave to them when they're speeding in town at night.
    Well done.

I'd also like to hear about what attitude/reaction the Gardai recieve from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

To be honest water off a Ducks back, you develope a thick skin fairly quickly,
    I generally find that any smart comments are shouted from a "safe" distance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

PIG

Pride

Integrity

Guts

That's what I say as a serving Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I was once called a pig so I asked the fella to come over next to me and say it. He walked away trying to save face by yelling more abuse at me. Everyone knew then he was a coward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Well done Mr.Nog...fair play mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

can you be arrested for calling a garda a pig? breach of the peace that kind of thing?....

hammy140 wrote: »
    PIG

Pride

Integrity

Guts

That's what I say as a serving Garda.

I like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

ironic username too hammy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I am reminded of the famous incident a few years ago on Dempsey's Den.

Zig and Zag were doing a skit on imitating farm animals.

Zig: Can you make a noise like a horse?
    Zag: Neigh.

Zig: Can you make a noise like a cow?
    Zag: Moo.

Zig: Can you make a noise like a pig?
    Zag: Step out of the car please...

Cue embarrassed Ian Dempsey and unscheduled ad-break followed by a career break for our two knitted aliens.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    Zig: Can you make a noise like a pig?
    Zag: Step out of the car please...

Cue embarrassed Ian Dempsey and unscheduled ad-break followed by a career break for our two knitted aliens.

lol that's just a bit of tongue in cheek humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My personal expierence with the pigs..erm i mean the Gardai is that they are people like the rest of us and on quite a few occasions ive been given the benefit of the doubt or a rub of the green from them when they really didnt need to, all these situations would be for driving offences. Another situation i know of where a freind of mine was assaukted in a pub, and my driend went outside and hit the guy and the guy fell and broke his arm.. the Gardai knew the situation and were very helpful to my friend knowung exactly where the Justice lay. Essentially they monitered the situation and kept my mate well informed as to what was proceeding, in the end the other guy didnt follow the matter any further.

So yes, i find if you dint be a "big man" or a dich, the cops will cut you a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Pride

Integrity

Guts

isn't pride a sin

intergrety is the individual coppers... some arent actually that intergrated..lol

guts... in drawdah they will walk past fights as they would get their guts spilled by mobs of hoolagins with knives

sorry garda but get a gun!

Spyral wrote: »
    guts... in drawdah they will walk past fights as they would get their guts spilled by mobs of hoolagins with knives

I think you are trying to make drawdah as you call it, look bad which it isn't. Of course there are good and bad people but many are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

in drawdah they will walk past fights as they would get their guts spilled by mobs of hoolagins with knives

Did you attend School? Can you spell? Are you 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Did you attend School? Can you spell? Are you 12?

:rolleyes:

My guess. Typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PeelerHurley

ya pig or in limerick its " scuuuumbag or haaaaaaandicap" is usually shouted at from afar. it doesnt bother me. i dont get upset too easily which means i dont get drawn in to verbal or physical confrontations.

I usually agree with people who are arguing with me. U should try that and ull see its very hard to argue with a person who agrees with u. Wait for the confused look. Arguement turns into agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

ya pig or in limerick its " scuuuumbag or haaaaaaandicap" is usually shouted at from afar. it doesnt bother me. i dont get upset too easily which means i dont get drawn in to verbal or physical confrontations.

I usually agree with people who are arguing with me. U should try that and ull see its very hard to argue with a person who agrees with u. Wait for the confused look. Arguement turns into agreement

don't forget "Shades" that's a big one in Limerick.

ya ''Shades'',sums up a ****in generation of people down here...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I see pig almost as an affectionate term depending on how its said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

isn't pride a sin

intergrety is the individual coppers... some arent actually that intergrated..lol

Intregrety eh? what is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

cant say i'm bothered by the term to be honest. its usually idiots or scumbags who would say it anyway and their opinion's on anything don't count, or people trying to show off infront of their posh mates and they get extremely apologetic when they get pulled up oer it.
    It all depends on who is saying it how. the word isn't offensive, the same way im not offended by the word "wanker," it's the way the word is being used that makes it offensive or not.

And to be honest, if you got ofended by name calling, you'd be in the wrong job.

Advertisement