Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands-free voice quality problems on TT 720

Options
  • 04-01-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Ok - I think I need to start a thread on this issue in an Irish forum. Have seen problems reported with the TT720 hands-free in US and UK forums, but haven't seen a solid resolution to date. Here's my story:

Got a TT720 from dabs.ie, delivered just after Christmas. I'm impressed with the user interface, voices, the text-to-speech (TTS) facility which announces road names and reads out received texts on your mobile phone. The maps are TeleAtlas and have some serious issues as to currency outside urban areas, but that is a common problem with TT and will resolve over time, hopefully as new maps are released.

I bought this unit for hands-free operation and I'm afraid that my particular unit is seriously deficient in relation to the voice quality when making a call. I can hear the called party perfectly, but they can't hear me:mad: I have made a call to my own voicemail and I would say that it sounds like a swarm of bees has invaded my car.... My voice is inaudible (some would say this is a good thing :D). In any case I have contacted dabs.ie and they are going to replace the unit. I'm concerned that the replacement may be just as bad, judging by the horror stories from the US, particularly.

Any feedback(:rolleyes:) from other users of the TT 720? Thanks phutyle for some initial thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭mossie

I haven't used the handsfree very much, but so far the only time I have had a problem is when the other party is also on handsfree. On a call where the other person is on a phone there seems to be no major issues. Maybe if there was a way to fit an external mic it might help but this does not seem to be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I don't think it's the microphone as such - I have been able to record my own voice prompts for directions (it's a feature - but why:o) and the quality is ok. It seems to be some interaction with the bluetooth signal - maybe bad shielding? I've tried 5 different mobile handsets and all exhibit the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Buffer

I don't have a 720, but on the 710 I use an external mic (supplied with the unit) that plugs into the dash mount. This is far superior to the built-in mic, particularly in the presence of engine noise. Before I connected the external mic, I had tried it with the internal mic and it was unusable.

Buffer.

Advertisement