Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a bit of advice please...

Options
  • 04-01-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all, sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I really need some advice on computer please!

Basically I'm big into digital imaging (I'm doing a degree in photogrpahy and this is a big part of it). I was working on an image today and it was massive (the whole PSD file was 250MB) and with my whole 1Gb of RAM each filter I applied took about 5 minutes to load lol.

So I need a computer capable of handling these files in photoshop. So, what kind of specs am I looking at? The only computer component I know about is RAM, but I'm guessing that's not the only important thing...?

Also my tutor said something about a dual head graphics card, at least I think thats what he called it- basically it lets you plug in two monitors at once, but they act as though they're the same screen (just like the nintendo DS does, ie, each screen doesn't just display the same thing, but continues on from the other one).

Is there any light to be shed? lol Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

More ram will allow you to display the image quicker, so if you want to decrease load time, double your RAM to 2GB. Dual monitors will allow you to view more of the image at once, but wouldn't help with loading time. Depending on the type of images you work with, a professional 2D graphics card might have a performance effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

Thanks, So you think I could just upgrade instead of buying a new computer?

And the dual head wasn't for speed, basically its so I can run photoshop with all of my info boxes on a cheap screen to the left and have just the image im working on, on a higher quality wide screen to the right. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Might as well get lots of RAM, it is very, very cheap at the moment. A multi-core CPU would work wonders too. What's the spec of your hardware at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

RAM, good graphic card with excelent 2D (not only 3D) support. Think more about bigger display with higher resolution than 2 displays. Easier, better, cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

just so you know 32 bit Vista or XP will not see more than 3.5GB RAM

• Advertisement

I just did the start > run > /dxdiag thing and this is what i got-

1GB RAM (out of a max of 2gb) and I know that its the DDR type RAM

Celeron CPU 3.06 GHz

Dont know how to find out about my graphics card or anything...
    zod wrote: »
    just so you know 32 bit Vista or XP will not see more than 3.5GB RAM

Oh right, so it would be pointless aiming for 4BG?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd replace the celeron if I were you. It's a dog of a processor.

What advantage would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If you got a Dual Core PC with 3GB of ram & use dual monitors you would think you won the Lotto compared to using a Celeron.

I know it's not the same as your requirements? but here's a comparison.

I used to use a Celeron (1GB RAM) to trans-code Movies to DVD. Each movie would take anything from 2.5 to 3 hours to complete.

On my dual core with 4GB RAM (using the 3GB Switch) I can do the same process in 20 - 25 minute.

That the difference in processing power.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

yeah the Celeron processor is holding you back there big-time!

You'd have to change the motherboard and get faster RAM, but Dual Core processor is the way to go. I recently upgraded a friends PC from 2GB to 4GB of RAM with a dual monitor display, just to edit digital photos aswell - though I think his might have been around 20MB each :)

• Advertisement

Okay, so lets say I was going to go for the dual processor and a RAM upgrade, with a possibility of a dual head graphics card- what kind of system would I be looking at to achieve 4GB of RAM? Because I don't know what 32 bit vista means (lol, i really am a computer noob). Would I be looking at a big upgrade? Or a new machine? If so where would be the best place to start looking??

Thanks for all the advice guys! Really appreciate it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

New pc would be the best & cheapest option, there's not much upgrading your gonna be able to do there, especially when your starting with a celeron

I would suggest that your best bet would be to replace the PC.

Komplett have a range of pre built machines or you could get someone in the know to spec & build for you.

Here's an example of a pre built from komplett.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.aspx?sku=10093

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Right so, me think a new pc is in order...

From the looks of it, most pcs with 4GB of RAM are around the €1000 + region, Could I buy a computer with 2GB and up grade for cheaper?

Absolutely!

RAM has never ever been cheaper.

-

Cool, guess it's a good time for me to be buying then :) But i still have two last questions lol... sorry for harpin on btw!

1- how do I know that the computer I buy can manage a full 4GB of RAM (someting about 32 bit vista??)

2- where's the best place to buy RAM??

Thanks again, I think I'm finally on the right track now!

Louis.

You can get RAM from any of these

http://www.shop4memory.ie/

www.komplett.ie

www.crucial.com

Regarding 4GB RAM,

Any 32 bit Operating system will only be able to see 3.5GB max & that is by using what's known as the 3GB switch. No magic in using the switch, it's just a string you insert into the boot.ini file on the machine.

A 64 bit OS will be able to use the full 4GB but I don't recommend you go that route. 64 bit OS's are very restricted (In some cases) to the availability of software drivers and can be more problematic then they are worth it.

You can get 32 or 64 bit OS's in both XP & Vista but I would suggest you stick with 32Bit.

I have a dual core with 4GB of RAM but it's really only maximizing three - 3.5 Gigs of that.

You can always just install 3GB's into your new system but RAM is so cheap now it's as easy to install the full 4GB.

One thing is for sure "You can never have too much RAM" It's probably the most upgradable & performance improvements you can ever make to a system.

Hope this give you a better idea?

-

I think I'm beginning to ever so slightly understand now lol...

Thanks again guys! You've been a big help :)

Louis!

Advertisement