Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell-All-In-One-Printer/Printer-Scanner Advice

Options
  • 04-01-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I am in the processing of purchasing a P.C. from Dell (prefared brand) and wish to purchase a printer/scanner all in one as space is not exactly of the essence. Formerly I purchased a Lexmark scanner and Epson printer from them directly about 7 years ago and for a shocking price. I see from Dells website that you can get an all in one for as little as €61 see:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/allinone?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

So has anyone had experience with these type of appliances or are they just all in one for space/practicality rather than actually being useful. I require the scanner for scanning photographs/all utility bills etc so it need not be to a Graphic designers standard, but I would like to have a decent enough standard. As regards the printer, I would require to print letters/phtographs etc.

Any advice on speed/reliability etc. Are they just repackaged Lexmarks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm in the market for an all in one too, I have a thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209808

You don't need a dell just because you're getting a dell computer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Don't buy a Dell printer.

They are terrible and use ink very quickly.

They are Lexmarx printers with a Dell badge. Lexmark printers are normally
    given away with a computer to get you to buy it. They are rubbish.

I was a HP man for years but this year I changed over to Canon.

I bought a Canon PIXMA MP600 printer, scanner, copier.

It is brilliant, and PC Pro magazine voted it best in class last year.
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/102285/canon-pixma-mp600.html

I got it in Argos for €189

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500000701&productId=1500106439&clickfrom=image

It' s a great yoke and comes with loads of useful software, and an insert for printing on CD/DVD's.

It is very quick too, can do a full colour A4 in about 15 seconds.

There is a slot for memory cards on the front.

You get Arc Soft Photo Studio 5, Omni Page Scan Soft, and Canon's own software for printing photos.

It gets my recommendation.

by the way, both dell and argos seem to be selling the printer usb leads for 20 euro, you can get them for €4 in tesco:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

cormie wrote: »
    by the way, both dell and argos seem to be selling the printer usb leads for 20 euro, you can get them for €4 in tesco:rolleyes:

That is a scan that has been going on for years, good to see big brand stores cracking heads and lowering prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah Canon printers are great. Very reliable.

Some of the higher end HP's are not bad either though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

I had a Canon all-in-one, it spent most of the time cleaning,
    1. turn on ....clean...p*ss out ink....noise
    2. go print ..... start clean...p*ss out ink...noise
    3. after 10 prints .....clean...p*ss out ink...noise
    4. turn off ... clean...p*ss out ink...noise
    note: every cleaning was very noisy so using it at night was out.
    also small print refills hence having to buy new refills every few weeks thats with moderate printing.
    Mybe they have improved...? That printer filled me with such anger thinking about it now I should of got a sledgehammer to it. Then atleast my last memory of it would have been with a smile on my face.

One day I was in a hurry and just got sick of sitting waiting for it to finish.
    I unpluged it and pretty much that was that the print head never worked again.

I now use a Brother.. absolutely brill quick on/off no-noise, no probs.

I bought a wireless lemxmark x4850 reduced in Argos for my sister for xmas,
    pretty much excellent. connect ad-hoc or to network no prob.
    tested wireless scan and print just excellent again. no-noise.
    And USB supplied in box (for initial installation or hardwire) even though Argos still tried to get me to part with €20 for a cable.

barneybash: it seems we have had opposite experiences.

I thought the HP was thirsty and the cannon (I don't want to speak about).

All printers will use ink.

I recomend Brother but if I was to buy a printer tomarrow for myself, the wireless lemxmark x4850, its WIRELESS.
    You have to go wirelss printing no-matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Forgot to say the lemxmark x4850 software Excellent.
    camera pics can be displayed on printer screen.

mybe it's not just the brand but the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

they sold the 810 for 12euro or something a few years ago.
    i got 3 at the time.

they are all stil running perfectly but receive very light use.
    they guzzle the ink down, but i still have a load of cartridges so am hanging onto them.

big problem is that they only have red / green / blue ink in them.
    NO BLACK.

so printing a page of black text uses up loads of every type of ink, and still appears slightly blueish if you hold it up to the light.

ive never printed a photo with it.

the scanner is excellent, very fast and very queit

I got the same deal Subway, Think I actually posted about it on the bargain alerts :D

I got 2 of them for €8 delivered and sold one for €40, which was still a bargain for the buyer since they were being sold for €75 or something:) Mine is still going ok too but has had VERY little use.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Anto.

Can you reccomend a HP printer ? Have a friend who works for them - Just don't like their pc's...! Much prefare a Dell.
    Don't buy a Dell printer.

They are terrible and use ink very quickly.

They are Lexmarx printers with a Dell badge. Lexmark printers are normally
    given away with a computer to get you to buy it. They are rubbish.

I was a HP man for years but this year I changed over to Canon.

I bought a Canon PIXMA MP600 printer, scanner, copier.

It is brilliant, and PC Pro magazine voted it best in class last year.
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/102285/canon-pixma-mp600.html

I got it in Argos for €189

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500000701&productId=1500106439&clickfrom=image
    It' s a great yoke and comes with loads of useful software, and an insert for printing on CD/DVD's.
    It is very quick too, can do a full colour A4 in about 15 seconds.
    There is a slot for memory cards on the front.
    You get Arc Soft Photo Studio 5, Omni Page Scan Soft, and Canon's own software for printing photos.
    It gets my recommendation.

I will check out those printers - cheers for the advice lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

hi
    I work for hewlett packard and i would recommend a hp printer all in one.
    i bought a c8160 printer fax scanner copier for home use bout 3 months ago and it is 100% perfect. even printing photos it is so good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Argos are doing the MP460 for €60 cheap and chearful canon all in one
    LCD screen, card / USB slots

I haven't heard any good stories about cheap Lexmark printers and the current HP all in ones aren't getting good reviews on print quality - which is where HP normally do well.

Advertisement