Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Philips Ambilight surround worth it?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at the Philips 42" LCD 42PFL9732. I've seen it for 2500 euro.
    Power City has the Philips 42" LCD 42PFL9632 online for just under e2100 (special online price).

I've gone through all the specs and the only differences are that the 9732 has Ambilight on 3 sides while the 9632 has it on 2 sides; 9732 has memory card slot but 9632 only has a USB slot.

Is Ambilight worth the 400 euro price difference?
    I've see it in action in shops and have read that it is good when the lights in the room are turned down.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Curry's in blanch (I think) had a good display with it set up off in a corner on it's own. It did seem quite good but, and the general consensus I've seen on avforums is that it's a nice feature to have but not worth a lot extra, more important to focus on the panel's image quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah Ambilight would piss me off no-end. when i want to watch a film on my Panasonic plasma, i knock all the lights off... i dont need the room to be filled with random colours....

AND AS STEVENMU SAYS, CONCENTRATE MORE ON THE QUALITY OF THE PANEL...NOT THE "EXTRA" FEATURES.

adam

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

I'd agree with moe,

Philips ambient light im my oponion would be one of the most annoying experiences when watching a film. The lights will only create a distraction from whats really important, the picture.:mad: I think it would drive you mad watching the screen after a while.

I'd look at another panel without this annoying feature.

Advertisement