Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online LaTeX/typesetting?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

This seems very much a wild stab in the dark: Is there any online service or suite (if I can host it myself, all the better!) that supports TeX files? I've recently taken on some side work both helping to write, maintain and revise a set of documents.

Working from three different physical locations has put me at a disadvantage, as I don't have an ultra portable notebook, and I would like to be able to use an online service I can access from anywhere. A pendrive is equally impractical as I have a very bad habit of losing them.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Why does the online aspect have to understand LaTex ? Surely you have an editor at each of the locations ?

What about gmail ? save your work as a draft mail ... it's always online, and accessible anywhere.
    You may want to zip / password protect your docs in some way ... but it's a thought.

Actually ... maybe the size of your files will be a limiter ... how big do they get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Individual file size is normally below 200kb; I'm essentially working on one extended document, but each section is a separate file.

I'm working in LaTeX as the documents will eventually be printed and having them typeset from the beginning is a huge plus. I've looked at Google Documents, and it in fact meets many of my requirements, but I simply want to avoid having to type the document and then have to retype and typeset it later, if it's at all possible to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johanneswilm

Hey,
    yes there are actually two such things. One is Monkeytex.com, which is I understand it is a for-profit effort. Or at least it aims to be one, once the creator figures out how to make money on it.
    Then there is latexlab.org which is about to be released as an open source software that you can install on your own server. In the first version that will be on a Windows based system (asp.net), later on it is planned to have it run on any *nix-based system as well (php). :cool:

Advertisement