Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Outlook Express .DBX files

Options
  • 04-01-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So, Computer is fooked, absolutly. It's running(very slowly) but wont open any programs except for OE. It will open regular files(slowly) and will alow me to move all my crap onto an extenal drive(thank god)

So when outlook express opens I get an error saying there was a problem with OE and it needs to close.

So there are loads of emails in there that are Verrry important. (not mine, familys - I feckin hate OE)

So I located the .dbx files manually, (comp wont let me search either) and I have them copied to the external drive.

My Q is; Can I import them into OE on another machine and how..

[Ramble]This problem with the comp happened before - turned out my HD was jammed, so after a slight 'fall' on the ground it worked again.. This time I have a pain in my b@lls with it so I'm getting a new comp. XPS 420 from dell @ €815. Bargain. All i need now is the outlook files![/Ramble]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

To restore your mail folders:

1. Copy the backup copies of your DBX files to a new empty folder on your hard disk.

2. In Outlook Express click Import on the File menu, then click Messages.

3. Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and click Next.

4. Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory and click OK.

5. Browse to the folder with your backup DBX files and click Next.

Source:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/oetopten.mspx

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I do it a slightly different way but it's always worked on customers PC's:

1. Open 'Outlook Express' on your new PC. Cancel the Startup Wizard.
    2. Click on TOOLS menu > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder button. Copy the full path from the 'Store Location' into the clipboard.
    3. Close 'Outlook Express'. Click on START > Run and paste in the 'Store Location' path and click 'OK'.
    4. Then browse to the old folder with your backup DBX files and copy the contents into the new folder you've just opened.
    5. Open 'Outlook Express' and all your messages should be there.

Just a note: You may also need to import the Address Book seperately from the old PC. Search for *.WAB files. There is a way to import the Address Book if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I agree with loveless's method although Gadgetmans is the Microsoft way (which doesn't always work).
    DBX's are sstored always in Doc'N'Settings->User Name->Local Settings->Application Data->Outlook Express->Folder with a bunch of letters and numbers. Within the last folder are the dbx files themselves.
    Make sure you have turned off hiding system folders and hidden folders in explorer too.

Advertisement