Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Temps 3/4th Jan '08

Options
  • 04-01-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

During all this talk of snow, there was some quite remarkable low temperatures recorded last night.

Minimum of -5.8c here. Not often it gets below -5c around here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

It clouded over here yesterday evening at approx 8pm, at that stage however the temp was -1.6c. That rose of course once the cloud rolled in, and didnt get that low again due to that cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

My recorded MIN during this period was -3.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

-5.3°C on the aws here, some job clearing the car windscreen this morning getting to work..water, antifreeze, the lot..all kept freezing back up again.

In the end left the engine running and came back inside for about 15 mins and when I went out the car had warmed up a little and there was a patch in the windscreen i could see through!
    Think it might have been colder last year though as the car complained a lot more starting in the really heavy frosts before our snow that time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Dunno how cold it got but it was -5C on the sally gap at 19:00!

Hey trogdor, that place you were/are staying at the moment must be pretty high up, do you know how high as a matter of interest?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

-4.3 in Oranmore overnight (5:12 am)....very low for here,rarely gets below zero,location only about 300m from the sea.
    Probably explains the heavy snow here this morning.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Longfield wrote: »
    Hey trogdor, that place you were/are staying at the moment must be pretty high up, do you know how high as a matter of interest?

I'm not sure but according to google earth they're at around 300m. The coordinates on google earth are 53 09'59"N 6 22"47'W if you want to check put exactly where it is yourself.

And just checking my own stats for Bray. It got down to -2.6C here last night, coldest temp i've recorded since i got the station a year and 3/4 ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Min temps
    1 Claremorris (Ireland)-6.1 °C
    2 Connaught Airport (Ireland)-5.1 °C
    3 Finner (Ireland)-5.0 °C
    4 Cork Airport (Ireland)-4.3 °C
    5 Johnstown Castle (Ireland)-4.3 °C
    6 Birr (Ireland)-3.8 °C
    7 Shannon Airport (Ireland)-3.8 °C
    8 Mullingar (Ireland)-3.3 °C
    9 Belmullet (Ireland)-3.0 °C
    10 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland)-3.0 °C
    11 Valentia Observatory (Ireland)-2.9 °C
    12 Clones (Ireland)-2.6 °C
    13 Roches Point (Ireland)-2.6 °C
    14 Malin Head (Ireland)-2.1 °C
    15 Kilkenny (Ireland)-2.0 °C
    16 Dublin Airport (Ireland)-1.9 °C

My own min was -3.1C
    Grass min -9.6C

Thanks trogdor, that looks like a nice place, would have been even better if the snow last night had been a little further south!

-5.5°C at 1:40 in Athlone,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

^about the same here (at 1000ft)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some things I noticed this morning:

1) The water in the bucket where the chickens drink from had to be broken with a hammer. Normally, I can break this with my heel but not this morning.

2) All the outside taps were frozen solid and could not be used until midday.

3) The drinker for the chicks inside the garden shed was frozen.

Mad day weatherwise really!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote:
    16 Dublin Airport (Ireland)-1.9 °C
    Interesting.
    My AWS min was -1.1c and the mercury -1.7c

Advertisement