Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the booze

Options
  • 04-01-2008 1:51pm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202495

As explained above,
    I am doing it for 6 months to clear up the system and to get fit again. I wouldn't mind a bit of help through it from you non-drinkers. I have one question though, how many of you have drank before and gave up? Just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

I used to drink but I had to give up cos I'm on meds. My best advice to you is to find yourself lots of things to do that don't involve drink and people who are willing to do them with you. You should come to some of the events we're organising here and meet some new people. I'm organising a quiz in Dublin very soon...you should come along. If interested, just post on the Quiz thread. Join some clubs! Going out with someone who's not a big drinker is a great help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

hi,

fair play for givin it up.u might even give it up permanently after the 6 month period!

bringing ur car was a great idea.u cud also go out concentrating on the cons of not loading urself with alcohol ie no hangover,not making a fool of urself,not spending as much money etc.

also find some nice reliable soft drinks and get used to havin them while out. i usually go for a lucozade or a blackcurrant

Thanks lads,
    I'll think about those events for sure as most of my mates are big into drinking so it wouldn't be a big help going out with them. Im guessing you used to drink jph?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I sed to be a barman for 20 years. To be honest I saw that many drunks, fights caused by drink, marriage break-ups, etc that it put me off drinking.

After near seven years now, I do not miss a drop of alcohol and my life is the better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wester08

I had to stop almost 3 years ago, Its tough at first, the best advice is to stay away from pubs/clubs etc. etc. for as long as you can. I didnt go near any old haunts or situations for over a year, Id leave weddings/events early, Id always drive, always have an excuse handy so I could leave.
    After a while people get the message, my friends dont even think of me as a drinker now.
    That said, not as easy to meet women though (in my experience!)

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Just make it out that by not drinking your an individual. When I'm out with my friends, I just harp on about how alcohol should be banned. Gets those minds thinking.

Oh and just come to the obvious conclusion that alcohol does not taste good, give me a bottle of water anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Fair play Kag,

I went of it for Jan & Feb last year.
    I am going off it until May this year and if it goes good may just abandon it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

wester08 wrote: »
    I had to stop almost 3 years ago, Its tough at first, the best advice is to stay away from pubs/clubs etc. etc. for as long as you can. I didnt go near any old haunts or situations for over a year, Id leave weddings/events early, Id always drive, always have an excuse handy so I could leave.
    After a while people get the message, my friends dont even think of me as a drinker now.
    That said, not as easy to meet women though (in my experience!)

Best of luck

Why is it not as easy to meet women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

[quote=KaG1888;54784357 Im guessing you used to drink jph?[/quote]

nope i never drank. well i tasted a few drinks wit mates years ago like most people do but never drank more than a couple of sips.

biggins made some great points about seeing things in pubs that wud put u off the drink,i suppose seein things like that in pubs at a young age put me off drink too,werent the only reasons i dont drink though.

how are u getting on so far?

oh karen, myself and my mates that dont drink find it very hard too!

bring yourself & your mates to the quiz! I'm sure there'll be plenty of ladies there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

When I'm out with my friends, I just harp on about how alcohol should be banned. Gets those minds thinking.

Fooks sake that's gotta get annoying.

OP it's very hard to break your old lifestyle. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to gradually move away from it by replacing it with new hobbies.

You would think that but no.

Hey lads/ladies,
    Its going well so far. Been just going to the gym & I played poker on Friday & Saturday. Played two tournaments and placed in both making €425 which isn't too shabby. I am going to be a bit of a hermit for the first month(January is generally a quiet month anyway). Next month I have two weddings to go to which I will not drink a drop and will probably leave them both early. Thanks for the support all

Kag

You would think that but no.

I meant annoying for your friends.

Well considering the fact it smells like cloves I'm guessing I could make some out of the shelf of spices in my house.

grasshopa wrote: »
    Well considering the fact it smells like cloves I'm guessing I could make some out of the shelf of spices in my house.

?

Whoops wrong thread

grasshopa wrote: »
    I meant annoying for your friends.

I stand by my statement. Seriously it does not annoy them. No more than it annoys me, when they constantly say 'ah go on have one'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wester08

Its probably the lack of dutch courage.:o . But also when you're whole social life is based around drink (bars, clubs, parties etc.) and then you stop, it can be quite difficult to meet new people.
    Karen33 wrote: »
    Why is it not as easy to meet women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

as I am attached.

But I tell ya , being sober is the best way.

The amount of times I missed out on a chick due to alcohol is insane.

I'd simply be too pissed to notice a woman was into me, or be in that hole of drunkeness were my usual clever witty self is in hibernation, or be drooling on myself, or be too drunk to be bothered making a move. Bugger that.

Im no Casanova now, but I can at least tell when a girl is flirting with me, and it doesnt seem like such a big deal to ask for a phone number to me now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement