Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic growth

Options
  • 04-01-2008 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭

Someone came out with a figure I think of 2.1% economic growth in Ireland for 2008. Does this take inflation into account?

Is that growth in volume or value?

Potentially with say 3% inflation (capital and consumer), is all growth wiped out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

inflation is netted out. Some countries understate their inflation though, the US being a prime example so they overstate growth.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Real GDP growth (in volume)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

silverharp wrote: »
    inflation is netted out. Some countries understate their inflation though, the US being a prime example so they overstate growth.

I think I heard David Begg say recently that the Gross income of the typical middle american hasnt increased in 8 years..I wonder where he got that nugget of gold?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Clytus wrote: »
    I think I heard David Begg say recently that the Gross income of the typical middle american hasnt increased in 8 years..I wonder where he got that nugget of gold?

Gross income = Real income in this case??

(Please don't kill me if I'm way off the mark, economics is something that greatly interests me but I'm a relative newb to it!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hanley wrote: »
    Gross income = Real income in this case??

(Please don't kill me if I'm way off the mark, economics is something that greatly interests me but I'm a relative newb to it!!)
    Gross = big

Gross income is the 'big income' before deductions, primarily tax.

Nett income is after tax, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Gross is an accounting term really, not an 'economic' one.

Advertisement