Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu-ray, HDTV, and the colour black

Options
  • 03-01-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I have a 32" Samsung LCD which displays at 1080i, and a PS3 console which plays Blu-ray.

I've noticed that my TV isn't handling the colour black too well in Blu-ray playbacks. What I mean is, whenever there's a dark scene playing where black is the predominant colour, the screen sort of switches or flickers down through shades of gray and black, and the TV hums very faintly. That's not a very clear description, sorry, but its kind of hard to describe!

What would cause this? Is it something to be expected with the TV specs or caused by a fault or a wrong setting somewhere?

Its not a major problem, just kind of annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

You have run into the one (well two) Achilles heel of LCDs. Black levels is the major one.
    Could be a dodgy power supply, as LCDs are driven at their hardest when displaying black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

The humming problem is also quite common.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The switching down through levels of grey sounds like some kind of dynamic contrast feature. As you know LCD TVs use a single white back light and make the picture by blocking out parts of it at each pixel. In an effort to get good blacks in dark scenes most TVs will automatically turn down the back light, turning it back up again for bright scenes. This lets the manufacturers quote really high contrast ratios because they can compare a black pixel with the backlight right the way down to a single white pixel with the backlight all the way up, even though both can't be shown on screen at the same time (some manufacturers at least have the deceny to call this dynamic contrast).

Anyway, the short of it is is that some TVs let you turn this feature off, look for a setting called dynamic contrast or dynamic brightness or maybe auto-something or other.

Advertisement