Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access 2003 Crashes

Options
  • 03-01-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Happy New Year.
    I'm having a problem with MS-Access. It crashes when I hit the Save button on the Access menu (on top of screen).

The error message it gives is as follows "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in MSACCESS.EXE [2416]".

The number in the brackets changes each time, it has also been [464] & [3136]. I've even restored old databases from backup and the same happens.

The form that it always happens on updates about 5 or 6 tables. Other forms I use are fine. It also happens when I'm in design mode for the problem form.

I've done a compact and repair, but no joy with that.

I've installed the free Beta version of Visual Studio 2008 and the debugger makes reference to NTDLL.DLL. I've down loaded a new version of the DLL file but no change.

Does anyone out there in Boards.ie land have any other suggestions that I could try.

Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Regards :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is, I take it, a customised access application. Is the save button on a customised toolbar or on the standard access toolbar?
    When you say, "form that it always happens on updates about 5 or 6 tables" - is this automatic or when a user clicks a button or what?
    What made you think of NTDLL.DLL?
    Is there code behind the form and if so does it compile? Are there any missing references?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

kbannon wrote: »
    This is, I take it, a customised access application. Is the save button on a customised toolbar or on the standard access toolbar?
    When you say, "form that it always happens on updates about 5 or 6 tables" - is this automatic or when a user clicks a button or what?
    Is there code behind the form and if so does it compile? Are there any missing references?

Have you tried creating a blank database.
    Then import all tables, queries, forms etc from the dodgy mdb file, do you get the same problem ?
    I've seen this before all right. Is it confidential information ? If not, you're more than welcome to upload it or PM if you like (obviously will post answer up here if the answer is found).
    As far as I can remember it had something to do with recordsets and multiple updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

kbannon wrote: »

Evening,
    It is customised and it's the save button on the Access Tool bar.

I don't have a form based save button. Saves happen when user either moves to the next record set or uses the save button on the Access Tool bar.

If user changes or adds a record and moves to another record set, changes are saved and no crash happens. But if the save button on the Access Tool bar is used crash happens.

The crash text informed me about the Visual Studio debugger utility. When I installed the beta version of V.S 2008 the crash process fired up V.S 2008 and gave some mention to the NTDLL.DLL file.

Thinking that it might be problem code I commented out two very small pieces of code that were run on save/exit, it made no difference. As a mentioned I've even restored old copies of databases and same still happens. It's odd that it just happens on the same form no matter what version of database I run.

I've even tried importing all forms etc into blank database, but same prob exists. The last time I ran these forms etc was pre Christmas and all was well then but backups from then also crash.

I was thinking of the drastic step of redesigning the form from scratch, but if you have any other ideas in the mean time, I would very much appreciate it.

Yours Much Appreciated.

Hi,
    Thanks for the replys so far.

The data etc is confidential so I can't post it. As already said all suggestions are very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

Hi,
    Thanks for the replys so far.

The data etc is confidential so I can't post it. As already said all suggestions are very much appreciated.

Can you post some code up ?

Are you doing anything in there like

docmd.openquery(" ")
    ?

EDIT:sorry,
    I meant are you doing anything like

docmd.runsql(""),
    have you tried changing your transaction type at the end of this statement ?

• Advertisement

Can you post some code up ?

Are you doing anything in there like

docmd.openquery(" ")
    ?

I'll review all code that's used by that form again and I'll comment it out and see what happens. FYI the crash even happens when I'm in the Edit/design mode for the problem form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

very abstract stab in the dark ... but would it be worthwhile trying to "decompile" the database (see google).

Afternoon all.
    Sometimes the simple solutions are the best.

I've solved my problem. I un-installed and re-installed my MS-Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Access and hey presto all is fine again.

Before reinstalling the suite I checked that my PCs registry was error free. I used a free download from.... http://www.download.com/RegClean/3000-2094_4-881470.html?tag=lst-0-1

I also ran the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility available from .....
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.

Advertisement