Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Leap Year Con

Options
  • 03-01-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

2008 is a Leap Year. There is one extra day but a quick check of the calendar shows that there are still only 52 Saturdays and 52 Sundays so we are all going to spend the extra day in work for no extra pay. I will definitely be pulling a sickie on Friday February 29.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

dont get me started on leap years and february they cause me utter confusment so they do always!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

chipclub wrote: »
    I will definitely be pulling a sickie on Friday February 29.

I refuse to work on a day that exists less than 33% of the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

I had great fun a few years ago trying to explain to my sisters friend, who was going from Weekly to Monthly pay, that sometimes there is 4 wks between Paydays, & sometimes there is 5wks between Paydays .... Same pay for more working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Mully wrote: »
    I had great fun a few years ago trying to explain to my sisters friend, who was going from Weekly to Monthly pay, that sometimes there is 4 wks between Paydays, & sometimes there is 5wks between Paydays .... Same pay for more working days.

Yeah but you get paid for 4.33 weeks work every month, so you're actually getting paid more for your 4 week months! (that's if you go by your hourly rate, when you're on a fixed salary, then it sucks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Mully wrote: »
    sometimes there is 4 wks between Paydays, & sometimes there is 5wks between Paydays .... Same pay for more working days.

single most annoying, and painful thing about monthly pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The government should make it National 'Do What You Want' Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

or....you could just work that little bit less all year to even it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

In relation to the monthly versus weekly pay, surely you're getting paid the same amount when it all adds up? The only thing is it's more spaced out at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

lets look at the positives people for those of us paying rent we get one extra day for our money in febuary
    and also my uncle who was born on the 29th gets his one birthday for every for years this one

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

lets look at the positives people for those of us paying rent we get one extra day for our money in febuary
    and also my uncle who was born on the 29th gets his one birthday for every for years this one

Does he have the mind of a 40 year old and the body of a 10 year old?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The_B_Man wrote: »
    or....you could just work that little bit less all year to even it out!
    How could you possibly work any less??? :confused:

baztard wrote: »
    Does he have the mind of a 40 year old and the body of a 10 year old?

everyone knows you only age when you get birthday cards telling you your new age is so he has the mind of a 40 year old and the body of a ten year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

emo!! wrote: »
    dont get me started on leap years and february they cause me utter confusment so they do always!

Ha ha ha ha. I remember that thread. Where is Pighead!

Anyway that is shocking i will definitly be asking for a pay rise equalling one days pay, or an extra days leave. Either is fine with me, dirty robbin baxtards. They* always complain about how much money sick days and bank holidays cost the economy never hear from them* when they are getting free days do ya.

*they/them = "da man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i hate 5 week months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Ha ha ha ha. I remember that thread. Where is Pighead!

"

he is probally off confusing some other poor soul!

i just looked at my payroll dates and im getting paid on the 28th of febuary, so yeah am thats and extra day then i think *cough cough*

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Presumably every 7 leap years we get a free Saturday or something, no?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

everyone knows you only age when you get birthday cards telling you your new age is so he has the mind of a 40 year old and the body of a ten year old

Do you know where it's buried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Maximilian wrote: »

Yes 2007 ended on a Monday normally the this year would end on a Tuesday but the leap makes it a Wednesday, so that Wednesday is actually the extra day.

In 2016 (a leap for those confused) the year will end on a Saturday so that Saturday is the extra day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chipclub

Maximilian wrote: »

That sounds about right but for a monthly paid, Monday - Friday worker that just means you do the same 261 days of work (not including bank holidays) as in any other year.

This year we have 262 so we should either get paid extra or have the day off. I am choosing to take the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Shouldn't have read this thread.:confused:I thought that I understood leap years.:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

pd101 wrote: »
    Shouldn't have read this thread.:confused:I thought that I understood leap years.:confused::confused:

Totally agree. I'm just glad I wasn't born on 29th February. There's no way I'd be able to get my head around that one!

The extra day doesn't bother me seeing as I work very little anyway and am in college very little too! (Because of my course, not my laziness!) And will not be in college or working on the 29th so I can't even take it off. (Or is that not the extra day? Is it a Wednesday as someone else mentioned? :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's a conspiracy to get people working more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Gordon wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy to get people working more!

Bastards!! All this time and I find out now!

Scheming Bastards!

Someone ring Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

**** God.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

The advantage is that us ladies get the chance to propose to our other halfs - I did that 8 years ago (though it took a few years to get married as I kept on getting nightmares about going down the isle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

CathyMoran wrote: »
    The advantage is that us ladies get the chance to propose to our other halfs - I did that 8 years ago (though it took a few years to get married as I kept on getting nightmares about going down the isle).

Haha, nightmares??? Could have been a sign...

Well if I fall in love and she proposes before the end of the year and we live a long and happy life together I'll let them away with the extra working day this year.
    But what about the rest??? Bastards!

CathyMoran wrote: »

so if you proposed does that mean you had to buy him a big feck off diamond ring?

Advertisement