Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rioting in Kenya

Options
  • 03-01-2008 2:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So you may or may not be keeping up with the new and witnessing the now hundreds of people who have died as a result of the turmoil over the country's election.

In summary for those of you not au fait with it. General election was held. As the votes were being counted for both candidates (and expert believed both candidates would be neck in necK) journalists were kicked out at the last minute and suddenly the reigning leader, Kibaki, declares himself winner and is sworn in.

And as is common with many third world nations during election time, chaos ensues.

Kenya is however considered to be one of the most properous African nations.

However GOAL have now pulled out their people there, which is quite unusual. Kenya has quite a large irish community (in comparison to other African nations).

Internation outrage etc etc. So what should happen now? Can the people oust the leader as a collective? Should the international community step in and if so, to what degree? Does issues like this in the international world concern you, considering the numbers killed in the past few days isnt far off our annual death toll on the roads.

Should we take to the streets to expresss our apparant disapproval of our government?

Where does "people power" begin and end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can't see it being much of an issue here unless it affects tea stocks to make Barrys Gold Blend and Lyons...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'll protest, would love to try it, kick up a fuss, for a worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm more concerned about my own life than the election shenanigans in Kenya of all places. Hell, Bush got away with in America so why can't Kibaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

bah, double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

sounds like a job for team america!

lets just spread some rumors of oil in the region and bam, war time!

F*ck yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Faceman deserves an award for starting this on AH ;)

Kenya has the potential to be a mini-Rwanda maybe this time it'll be stopped before it can start. Either way the place, which is only successful by the standards of its neighbours will crash and burn very quickly. Tourism is already at a standstill (over a million wealthy visitors a year as a rule), any overseas investment will dry up and yes there may be a tea shortage!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Seems like the UN is taking a miss world approach. It's only concern seems to be that peace is restored. Pretty limp wristed after it's own election supervisors declared the whole thing a sham.

It's a shame considering that Kenya has done quite well while most of it's neighbors turned basket cases. Nairobi is also a hub for europeans going anywhere in central africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

mike65 wrote: »
    Faceman deserves an award for starting this on AH ;)

Kenya has the potential to be a mini-Rwanda maybe this time it'll be stopped before it can start. Either way the place, which is only successful by the standards of its neighbours will crash and burn very quickly. Tourism is already at a standstill (over a million wealthy visitors a year as a rule), any overseas investment will dry up and yes there may be a tea shortage!

Mike.

If there is a tea shortage, let’s switch to coffee; just make sure it’s fair trade coffee. Check out the website.
    http://www.fairtrade.ie/about.php?page=about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It would be a terrible shame if a lid were not put on this. It's a beautiful country with so much potential but choked by corruption. I was just there in November and unfortunately everyone saw this coming.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Oh goody. Time to buy more shares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kenya has the potential to be a mini-Rwanda
    Mike.

They're going to turn it into a hotel? omgz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mike.

I dont see kenya becoming another rwanda. The circumstances that kicked off the genocide in rwanda were different. I was in the region at the time, and it was in the African news for months before it hit the western world.

Kenya thrives on tourism. While Kibaki had taken steps to improve the economy and had kicked off an anti corruption plan which had failed miserably. Kenya thrived unlike other regions due to some, unfortunately limited good decisions, that were made in the country since independence and the days of kenyatta. Dr. Leakey being appointed head of the wildlife service, the burning of ivory that was retrieved from poachers, the relationships built up with foreign multinationals. However corruption is still rampant. Although some of it isnt too far off what happens here. The Goldenberg scandal often reminds me of current affairs here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Thanks for that Faceman. Given me the best laugh of the day. "The Goldenberg scandal cost Kenya the equivalent of more than 10% of the country's annual GDP." (blood sucking vampires hollowing out there own country for personal gain whilst everything around them crumbles into chaos) Corruption here - Some councilor taking a few thousand in brides for planning application approval. - Bad planning, more traffic. oh noes

Get real. There is nothing new here.

Anyone catch Skynews showing someone getting continously slashed by a machete then showing his corpse on the ground. Bit fvcking sick.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Bambi wrote: »
    They're going to turn it into a hotel? omgz

I'm afraid its even more sinister than that.

Witness the awful truth here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Thanks for that Faceman. Given me the best laugh of the day. "The Goldenberg scandal cost Kenya the equivalent of more than 10% of the country's annual GDP." (blood sucking vampires hollowing out there own country for personal gain whilst everything around them crumbles into chaos) Corruption here - Some councilor taking a few thousand in brides for planning application approval. - Bad planning, more traffic. oh noes

Get real. There is nothing new here.

get with it horse, it wasnt the cash i was talking about. :rolleyes:

you're right, we've never had anyone in this country exploit the nation for their own gain. My mistake. I bow to your excellence

Advertisement