Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics on return from mailshot marketing...

Options
  • 03-01-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone has any statistics on returns you can expect from a targeted mailshot.

One of my clients has currently opted not to go with another targeted mailshot as they felt the previous run didn't generate the required interest.

Any facts of figures anyone would have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

forbairt wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone has any statistics on returns you can expect from a targeted mailshot.

One of my clients has currently opted not to go with another targeted mailshot as they felt the previous run didn't generate the required interest.

Any facts of figures anyone would have would be greatly appreciated.

How are they measuring their return ?

Mailshots are a marketing technique not a direct selling technique,
    client might not have gotten any sales from mailshot, but it could
    have made people aware of his product/service, and generate sales
    in the future.

Stats are based on the quality of the mailshot, expected sales returns:
    mailshot basic advert 0%
    mailshot with special offer 0-1%
    mailshot targeted, specific, with call to action 0-2%

Pound for pound I believe mail shots are the most cost effective marketing techniques.

This guy is meant to be one of the best in the business at writing mailshots,
    I never used him, but heard good things http://www.the-real-mccoy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

How are they measuring their return ?

Through guessing :D

And I would have said to go ahead and do it again ... as its about brand awareness ... was just wondering if I could sway them to do it again

I designed the mailshot however the content was supplied and as such I found it to be way too wordy.
    They kept on wanting to add in more and more whereas I'd have been of the mind to keep it simple .. nice graphics ... get the person interested and they can go online and see the rest of what you're about if they really want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

if the campaign isn't directly measurable then its a waste of time anyway.

If the objective is awareness then its particularly hard to measure unless you have a sales team ready to make follow up calls and they are asking if people recall getting your offer. Better options would be to include a voucher / speacial offer etc. , use a slightly different url or phone number that only appears on the DM piece (to measure traffic) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

You could suggest using a particular phone number just for the mail shot. PM me if you want some advice or details for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Sounds interesting.
    Does anyone have any comparative data relating to marketing/sales/publicity campaigns and their expected ROI?
    How does direct mail shots compare to say cold calls, chairty or event sponsorship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bernard colgan

You could suggest using a particular phone number just for the mail shot. PM me if you want some advice or details for success.

Could you put some advice here for everyone to read , im in same position and all advise would be very welcome

regaards B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I didn't bother sending a pm on that one ... and I'd meant to respond have just been swamped the last while ...

We had actually used a UK number for it as opposed to the irish one. Unfortunately I think they let themselves down heavily on it in terms of effort they put into it all and what they were expecting to get back on it (namely not having a sales / marketing person to answer as such)
    Could you put some advice here for everyone to read , im in same position and all advise would be very welcome

regaards B

Bernard ... the simplest option for you might be to set up a dedicated VOIP line ... smart / blueface or another one would be the easiest to set up. Have this used only as an incoming sales line. A lot of the simple voip boxes have 2 lines out ... The linksys pap2na ... quite cheap ... quite simple to set up and run

I have a blueface line that works perfectly these days for me on NTL ... (its a pay as you go credit line as well so bang 5 quid into the account and away you go) :D

(thats all if you're trying to keep costs on it down ... there are various other roads you could go as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I've juut spent a few days analysing our ROI from DM campaigns for conferences, training, publications campaigns and we're averaging an ROI of 310% for pure DM based returns with an overall campaign ROI of over 450% on average where a follow up telesales campaign is integrated.

DM campaigns are based on a minimum of 4 waves of DM, with a mix of offers and often with advertising support, SEO, banner ads, and successive email campaigns throughout the lifecycle of the campaign (typically 3 months + for any one product). After each successive wave of mailings we fine tune the next campaign wave to target the most responsive markets, either the lists, job titles responding, industries and geographic location.

this is for products with an average campaign budget of about 10k, and product values from £500 to £1600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 apricotnelli

Really the ROI got on snail or emailshots is completely dependant on the targetting, list quality and is it part of an integrated campaign. I have personally had the best results with a combination of email, smail mail , telemarketing, event management, promotions and advertising (adwords can work very well if targetted)

For email shots I have found constant contact or icontact good at getting round the anti spam.

For snail mail I have used The Mail works

Any kind of marketing is as good as what you put into it and also hard to measure as business may come in from overall raising awareness. I would say to directly measure 1 in 100 is not a bad figure on mailshots or cold calls

Advertisement