Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college tax claim

Options
  • 02-01-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    paid 5500 for college last summer and im entitled to 20% up to 5000 so what do i have to do to claim it back? does it have to be done in january? can i do it online and final question will i get cash back or hopefully they wont try give me tax credits will they?

thanks,
    stew.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

king-stew wrote: »
    hi guys,
    paid 5500 for college last summer and im entitled to 20% up to 5000 so what do i have to do to claim it back? does it have to be done in january? can i do it online and final question will i get cash back or hopefully they wont try give me tax credits will they?

thanks,
    stew.

You're entitled to claim back up to 5k at the marginal rate of tax. Submit an annual tax return through Revenues' website www.ros.ie and you should receive an assessment form and a repayment to you within a few weeks. You are also entitled to claim back tax on 1. Pension contributions, 2. Refuse disposal (up to 400), 3. Union subscriptions, 4.Rent relief, 5. Medical expenses (Will need a seperate Med 1 and Med 2 form) etc (there are quite a few things you can claim).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You need a P60 from 2007 (to show you paid tax) and a claim form which you can get from revenue.ie. Not sure how you go about getting a P60 in your situation but normally you'd get it some time this month and can use that to claim. If you can't get a P60 ring revenue with your PPS number and if they have your up to date details on file you'll only have to send in the claim form.

You can do it any time of the year just not in the year you're claiming for (so for this years fees you have to wait til 2009 to claim).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's a credit against tax paid- not a refund of tax paid- I doubt you have sufficient taxable income to claim it back if you are in college.

Advertisement