Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI Trailmasterq

Options
  • 02-01-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone here has bought and used Trail Master from OSI? If they have how do they find it?

The website is a bit unclear about its abilities and I was hoping to use it for a detailed street map of my local area.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PDD wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone here has bought and used Trail Master from OSI? If they have how do they find it?
    I have it and found it a bit kludgey to use personally.
    The website is a bit unclear about its abilities and I was hoping to use it for a detailed street map of my local area.
    It's only the same mapping as used on the OSi 1:50k maps, so wouldn't be much use for that to be honest .. it's more meant as a tool for outdoor people, hikers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

It is a pain to install due to the copy protection and the need to contact OSI for new licencing if you change any part of your PC. After nearly a month of emails following a PC upgrade I just gave up.

The software is just not really worth the effort, it is a shame as there are so many other countries that have managed to do this right, but we probably paid a fortune for a system that you would fail a first year student for producing!

Google maps will probably do as well or one of the Garmin or Tom Tom packages for the same price as the OSI trailmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fenris wrote: »
    It is a pain to install due to the copy protection and the need to contact OSI for new licencing if you change any part of your PC. After nearly a month of emails following a PC upgrade I just gave up.

The software is just not really worth the effort, it is a shame as there are so many other countries that have managed to do this right, but we probably paid a fortune for a system that you would fail a first year student for producing!
    I didn't have any problems with the copy-protection, although the description of how to install it was just rubbish and it took several attempts to get it right. I re-installed my PC a while back (for an unconnected reason) and just didn't bother re-installing it. My main gripes are usability ones .. the thing just doesn't 'feel' right to me.

They'd have been better off releasing the maps in a format suitable for use in one of the existing commercial mapping packages such as MemoryMap or Anquet and not try to reinvent the wheel. The software is written by a fairly reputable Belgian company who have lots of expertise in commercial GIS systems, but clearly no experience of writing software for this kind of application, and certainly not as a consumer oriented product. It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

From Wikipedia
    OSi is now an autonomous agency, with a remit to cover its costs of operation from its sales of data and derived products, which has, as with the Ordnance Survey in the UK, sometimes raised concerns about the mixing of public responsibilities with commercial imperatives.

So who pays for the surveying? And what does the tax payer get out of it if they contribute? It is pretty sad if we pay for it then have to rely on google maps because the OSI maps are DRMed out of all usefullness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cavedave wrote: »
    So who pays for the surveying? And what does the tax payer get out of it if they contribute? It is pretty sad if we pay for it then have to rely on google maps because the OSI maps are DRMed out of all usefullness.
    Yep, it's an age-old cry.. It's akin to funding an agency like the Citizens Information Board, and then having to pay to get any advice from them.

I can understand why commercial use of the data should exact a premium, but not individual public usage of the data. Also, wouldn't they realize a greater return from the Trailmaster product if they sold it cheaper (greater volume of sales)? The license fees from that Belgian company must be pretty extortionate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement