Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffin iTrip

Options
  • 02-01-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know which iTrip is the best one to get. Everywhere I've researched it tells me that the Griffin one is the best for the money.
    But I have a few questions.
    I assume it will play on any radio, and not just a car radio. I was thinking of buying a pretty cheap radio for my office like.
    On that note, does anybody have any idea what sort of range they operate at? I don't want to inadvertantly interfer with other peoples radios.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Its not great to be honest, it does the job though it sounds really tinny.
    If you want it for both home radio and the car then yes this is really the only quick fix. FM transmitters are generally a pile of crap but, if your looking to just hear your tunes then yeah it will do the job. Wouldn't pay anything over €30 for it though.

If its just for the car alone have a look at the Harmon Kardon drive+play. Its pretty decent and has come down in price alot.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Yep Griffin is the pick of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't understand. Griffin is the pick but it has terrible sound?
    Do they all have bad sound?

Basically all FM radios cannot reproduce frequencies over 17.5Khz, there is alot of distortion and background noise using an iPod FM transmitter like the iTrip. I have yet to find one that isn't crap. Even using the old tape deck with the connection on it is better if you still have a tape deck in your car?.

They are grand if you want to hear your tunes period, there is feckall base with them too.

Griffin would be the pick of them because its handy to use and setup really and probably the best marketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What really puts people off is that they are comparing the sound they get to that of real radio broadcasts like Today FM, FM104 etc etc. These stations spend thousands of euro on audio processors to fully utilise their modulation index and give the listener a constant sound "quality" that usually identifies with the stations music type. The iTrip doesn't have this feature so just transmits, unaltered, your music flat. That's why people complain it sounds tinny. Of course the purists would say this is better as the processing used by radio stations ruins the dynamics of the music.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Feelgood wrote: »
    Basically all FM radios cannot reproduce frequencies over 17.5Khz, there is alot of distortion and background noise using an iPod FM transmitter like the iTrip. I have yet to find one that isn't crap. Even using the old tape deck with the connection on it is better if you still have a tape deck in your car?.

They are grand if you want to hear your tunes period, there is feckall base with them too.

Griffin would be the pick of them because its handy to use and setup really and probably the best marketed.

I get ya.
    Thanks a million.
    Yeah for the car I already have the tape deck and am quite satisfied with it.
    I've been looking into the itrip because somebody told me that it is better then the tape deck routine and because I would like to have my tunes in my office too.
    To a degree I would be happy enough to simply have the music and not be fussy with quality, but not if I've to spend alot.

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement

Well I'd say for around €200, you could get a proper integration kit for your car (guys over in the cars forum could help you out here) and also a small set of speakers for the office that would do the job.

I have the Intempo speakers which I think cost around €70 2 years ago and they are deadly, great sound and can carry them anywhere too. Dont know if you can still get them anywhere.....

The other alternative is that you buy a pair of speakers for you office PC (Around €20) and just plug your ipod in via USB and your good to go?

Advertisement