Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What LCD Tv to buy

Options
  • 02-01-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I want to get an LCD Tv either 40 or 42 inch but i dont know what one to get. I'm willing to pay about 1500euro if anyone has any good suggestions. And what shop is the beat to buy in i was thinking DID but everyone seems to think someone different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Don't want to sound like I'm pimping Plasma but have you considered it:
    There are 2 great models, one below your budget and above in 42"
    Alliance Electric are doing the Panasonic 42" PV70 for €1350 (HD Ready TV but accepts 1080p input and scales accordingly) or Panasonic 42" PY70 for €1650 (Full HD 1080p screen).
    Both TVs are award winning screens, top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

from what I've been reading the last few days, the Sharp AQUEOUS Range are probably the best out there. You might want to consider the LC42X20E.

Best shopping around and also checking the online sites like Pixmania. Power City are doing specials if you buy online and collect at the store of your choice. I don't think they stock the Sharp range.

DID/Currys will be cheap as anyone and if you find it cheaper anywhere within 30 days I think they will pay you the difference.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ongarite wrote: »
    Alliance Electric are doing the Panasonic 42" PV70 for €1350 (HD Ready TV but accepts 1080p input and scales accordingly) or Panasonic 42" PY70 for €1650 (Full HD 1080p screen).
    I was considering getting a TH42PZ70B online. Just wondering how a PY70 compares against the PZ70. I have a feeling that the PZ70B is for UK market only (B for Britain?) and may not have VHF tuner.

Must look into it further. Teleworld are selling the PZ70B for UK£897 and UK£70 delivery, which seems to work out about €1,305

I believe you are correct. Its hard to find detailed info on the PY70 but from what I've found its the Euro version with VHF tuner, where as the PZ70 is UK version with DVB tuner in its place.
    If you are only going to be using it with NTL or Sky, the PZ70 model will be fine.

byte

Thereby is the problem, as I will be using VHF for RTE from Truskmore. I'm just half hoping that the tuners are identical, just that tuners abilities are changed depending on the country you tell it you're from (I know Sony did this - you pick UK and you got DTT and UHF only, picked Ireland and you got Hyperband tuner but no DTT)

• Advertisement

I'm afraid not. They make the PZ70 specifically for the UK market who don't use VHF frequency, so they put DVB tuner in its place. You will have to get the PY70 version then which is UHF,VHF.

byte

Yeah, you're right it seems. Checked the manual online for the PZ700 (I presume not too dissimilar to PZ70), and it's indeed UHF C21-69 only. :(

So, I'll have to look for a cheap PY70 instead or go for the Sony 40V3000.

Thanks.

Byte,

I saw your post on AVforums. I hope the guy there is right about the VHF tuner as I'm not too sure. Anyway you will find out soon enough if you went ahead and ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

i had thought about plasma but most people i talk to seem to have an impression that plasma is inferior to lcd, dont really know myself to be honest, i'l be using the tv for watching footie matches and playing my ps2 which i hope will soon be a ps3. is it true that lcd tv's keep blurring when playing high speed images

i had thought about plasma but most people i talk to seem to have an impression that plasma is inferior to lcd, dont really know myself to be honest, i'l be using the tv for watching footie matches and playing my ps2 which i hope will soon be a ps3. is it true that lcd tv's keep blurring when playing high speed images

Sorry this is not meant at you, but the amout of FUD being spread about Plasma TVs is unbelievable. Its like all the LCD makers are spreading false info to stop punters buying them.

If you are going to be watching lots of footie on new TV, Plasma is the way to go. Totally different tech to LCDs, responce, motion time is not an issue, so no ghosting or smearing. They will scale regular footie TV (SD) much better, less blocky than LCDs.
    I have a new Panasonic Plasma and with PS3 it is fantastic, very detailed black levels and accurate colour reproduction and no issues with responce time, etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

yea i thought that most of the things being said about plasma must be BS or else they would have stopped selling them ages ago, excellent that means better tv for less cash i like the sounds of that

byte

Byte,

I saw your post on AVforums. I hope the guy there is right about the VHF tuner as I'm not too sure. Anyway you will find out soon enough if you went ahead and ordered it.
    Heh, yeah, one response isn't a lot to go on. :)

I'm still at a loss as to what to do. I can't find a PY70 at any sensible price (in comparison to PZ70 prices). Some shops are insisting that the PV70 is 1080p, though all it does is downscale to 768 (though seemingly quite well).

Thats correct about the PV70. I have this TV for about a month. Its accepts 1080p input (PS3 with Blu-Rays) and scales them down to screen native resolution. It does it really well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah i have the PV70 and its a cracking tv. even with full hd material (blu ray) the tv does a great job scaling it.

and the PY70 at €1650... what a price! yeah the PZ70 might be available a bit cheaper online, but for €1650 you can get a PANASONIC 42" full HD plasma in a SHOP in Ireland... bargain price i reckon.

moe

byte

Byte,

Just to update. I've had it confirmed from Panasonic via email, and via a retailer who sells the PZ70 that it does NOT have a VHF tuner.

So, I've ordered the Irish version, TH42PY70 instead. Got a good deal from Reynolds of Raphoe.

Advertisement