Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 AR shifting

Options
  • 02-01-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

bloody idiots.
    they brodacst the film christine aover the christmas, which i recorded.
    the film is 4:3 native, and their ads are generally 16:9, so you get that annoying image stretching after each ad break. (why they need to change the AR at all i dont know)
    but whoever is in charge of "the big red widescreen button" in tv3 forgot to press it after one of the ad breaks so the first 1H20 is in 4:3 fullscreen and the second half is in letterbox, only its still a 4:3 image so is squashed vertically making everyone look ridculous.

so, does anyone know -
    1, why do they do this at all?
    2, is it an automated process, or is it really some idiot who can ruin a film at the touch of a button?

thanks for listening, (semi rant over ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'd imagine it is automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭muttzer

its actually an idiot who clearly forgot to change itback at the end of the adverts. trust me i know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

It SHOULD be triggered by a "flag" set for each on-air event in the automation schedule, can't think why anyone (apart from an automation failure) would be doing this manually these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Phen

As bad as they are that rarely, if never, happens on RTE. Obviously, along with their seemingly complex DOG system, theirs is automated. I still cannot understand why TV3's studio output is still in 4:3...are they a bit strapped for cash and cannot afford to make the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

are they a bit strapped for cash and cannot afford to make the switch?

No! They have over 60,000,000 euro a year in advertising revenue! not sure if that was a retorical question I just wanted to answer it, because I hate TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Elmo wrote: »
    because I hate TV3.
    Really? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

RTÉ do have the odd slip up. I have seen a few times a programme being broadcast in full widescreen on analogue on RTÉ ONE, but never on RTÉ TWO. They usually cop on about 15 minutes in and change it back.

TV 3 always seem to take a good minute or so before they switch the ratio back to 4:3 is the programme being broadcast isn't widescreen. It seems very amateurish if it's something that has to be done manually in this day and age. Whoever the guy, or girl, is that's in charge of it should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

To be fair, the type of monitoring they have at the playout end can also impact on how quickly an aspect ratio fault is spotted.

Advertisement