Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed guards Patrolling the Streets of Drogheda

Options
  • 02-01-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

I know it has been a sad christmas in Drogheda with the murder of two men, but I think it is a bit OTT calling for armed patrols of the town with checkpoints as called for by a local cllr in the DI today.

Neither of the men were down town at the time. They were at home or at neighbours houses so I don't see how armed guards are going to help patrolling the town.

I wasn't down town over Christmas. Was there a obvious presence by the guards on West St etc over Christmas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd love to see some well trained armed Gardai out and about occasionally; nationwide btw, not just Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I'd love to see some well trained armed Gardai out and about occasionally; nationwide btw, not just Drogheda.

Definitely agree with that. Gardai in the town and nationwide are wimps, let's face it. Guards should be at least medium build, and should be armed. What's a guard going to do if confronted with a knife? Or a gun? Look at cops in other European countries - they are a big physical presence. They're armed and respected, no one fuks with them. I saw no guards on West Street during any nights out over Christmas by the way.

Anything that makes the town safer is welcome by me, having soldiers around West Street is an extreme measure though. We need more guards who have the resources to tackle the upsurge in knife and gun attacks. A presence is especially required late at night on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Porkpie wrote: »
    Definitely agree with that. Gardai in the town and nationwide are wimps, let's face it. Guards should be at least medium build, and should be armed. What's a guard going to do if confronted with a knife? Or a gun? Look at cops in other European countries - they are a big physical presence. They're armed and respected, no one fuks with them. I saw no guards on West Street during any nights out over Christmas by the way.

Anything that makes the town safer is welcome by me, having soldiers around West Street is an extreme measure though. We need more guards who have the resources to tackle the upsurge in knife and gun attacks. A presence is especially required late at night on weekends.

Here Here Pork. Drogheda has always been a dangerous spot but recently it's spiralled out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

the rozzers just walk on by if theres a fight at 3am saturday... i mean what can they do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

I had serious hassle in Drogheda over Christmas, a well known criminal caused mayhem where I live, the Gardai were surprisingly fantastic, they could not have done more, the guy was dealt with in a systematic way. They were professional, and also swift and also firm and everyone was kept informed. Very reassuring....but they really need more bodies at their front desk and someone 24 hour for the phone..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The problem around christmas may have been worsened by the 'christmas release scheme' employed by our judicial system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Yup drog could do with the armed gardai mefinks, its about time too. Lots of shootings/stabbings going on, and theres lots of stuff that we wouldnt even hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They need to make a serious stand in Drogheda. I feel far safer walking around Dublin city at chucking out times, than I ever did in Drogheda!

Once I saw a big fight on narrow West street while I was waiting for a taxi. The guards drove straight past...and got out and cautioned some guy for urinating in public! They did nothing about the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

If some pure innocent **** is getting the **** kicked out of him by a bunch of **** who started on him for no reason yeah i feel they probabaly should step in but in all fairness If you were a blue boy would you honestly want to go into the thick of a drunken brawl at 3 in the morning? ;)

Advertisement