Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive disappears when USB key plugged

Options
  • 01-01-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Compaq C700 and it's running Vista HP. The DVD-Drive is labelled Drive E. (Drive C is HDD, Drive D is partition HDD). When I plugin a memory stick (USB flash drive) my DVD-Drive disappears and the flash drive has taken the letter E. How can I stop this from happening as I have to re-boot my laptop to see the DVD-Drive again?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Right click Computer and select Manage. Under Storage, click Disk Management. From here you can change the drive letter assigned to your usb key. Right click the usb drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Then change it to something else, F, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yeah I was thinking that (and did same) but will I have to do it for each device that I plug in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Does it do that with each usb slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yep each of the 3 USB slots

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could change what letter is assigned to the dvd drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement