Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think before you jailbreak

Options
  • 01-01-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

I bought my 16GB iPod touch yesterday and after doing the usual converting and syncing, I immediately began going through the guides and youtube vids that you guys have been posting since Christmas.
    I started off with the video from the ipodtouchmaster. I downloaded the link yet I kept getting an error message once I opened it. I didn't think much of it since I presumed it was just because I'm on Vista. I deleted the link and went onto the other written guide.
    This one seemed to take a lot less hassle than the other one and within a couple of minutes, I was installing apps through the installer software. I began with a few themes and games before I had to head off, so I turned off the ipod. When I returned and turned it on began.......yup you guessed it, a frozen screen

The ipod just froze on the apple logo. The only way I was able to turn it off was to reset the ipod (press sleep and home button at the same time for 5 seconds) I turned it pack on, same thing happened. At first I just thought I was being impatient and that the main menu would load up in no time. 10 minutes later and I was still staring at a silver apple.
    I plugged it into itunes, no recognisation. I uninstalled and reinstalled itunes, still no recognisation. I read through the troubleshooting pages on both itunes and the ipod touch website, nothing. By this time I was close to giving up, €400 down the drain.
    I began googling stuff like frozen apple logos for ipod touches when I eventually stumbled across a new tip, one not in any of the official troubleshooting websites.

When you turn on the touch hold both the sleep and home button, then when the apple logo appears, release the sleep button but keep hold of the home button. Assuming you are plugged into your computer, the itunes logo will appear on the touch. By then the touch should be recognised on itunes and then choose restore

This resetted the entire ipod to its factory settings. It deleted all my music, videos, photos and apps, but at least I had a working ipod again.

Hopefully this will help any of you that get into similar trouble. I personally won't be going near jailbreaking applications again but if you wish to still go ahead with it just be warned it won't work for everybody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Mr.S wrote: »
    i just downgraded to 1.1, jailbreaked, updated to 1.2 and jailbreaked that. and its working perfectly.

afaik, its very hard to accualy break it, unless you go deleating files.

Which guide did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah as daveirl says it's basically impossible to brick your iPod. You really just need to read everything in-depth. i read up on stuff for about a week before i done it. I don't mean to sound like a ponce but that hold the power and home buttons tip is in every guide and all over all ipod sites. Once you research properly you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think a lot of people except the likes of jailbreaking and rockbox (or any non-standard firmware) to be as smooth as the original software on the phone.

these methods like jailbreak and rockbox are written by enthuiasts (dire spelling) and shouldn't be relied to install/work 100% of the time.

normally with any big change is a systems software (take reinstalling windows for example) you would always back up your essential files and whatnot. the same should be said for portable devices like phones/mp4 players etc.

i hope you had your data backed up somewhere else and all you lost was time but if you lost time and data well let it be a lesson to backup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

deise, I had the same bit of a "oh crap" moment when jailbreaking my brothers touch.
    At first I was panicing but then realised its was nothing to be bothered about, I just put it into restore mode, as you said, and restore via itunes. No real danger in bricking.

I just hope anyone who reads your post, reads the rest of the thread and isn't scared of doing what should be done to the touch.....jailbreak ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

sounds like your right guys. I tried it again tonight, following that written guide from start to finish and sure enough, i've jailbreaked 1.1.2 and everything is working fine. Thanks guys :D

Advertisement