Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Gmail and Outlook Express

Options
  • 01-01-2008 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I use Outlook Express for all my email accounts and it has worked wll until recently. I have three family Gmail accounts (including my own) but lately it sticks on 'securing' and will not access the account. I have disbled/enabled POP forwarding on Gmail and deleted/reinstalled the account in Outlook Express. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

In Outlook Express In the Advanced tab of the properties for the accounts,

Have you set the following correctly?

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) to 465 & make sure you have a tic mark in the "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" box

Incoming Mail (POP3) to 995 & make sure you have a tic mark in the "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" box

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

In Outlook Express In the Advanced tab of the properties for the accounts,

Have you set the following correctly?

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) to 465 & make sure you have a tic mark in the "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" box

Incoming Mail (POP3) to 995 & make sure you have a tic mark in the "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" box

-

Yep. They're all fine. Funny thing is that one of the Gmail accounts works perfectly through OE, but the minute it hits the others it sticks.

Thanks for the help.

In Outlook Express, for the problematic account, go to its properties & under the "Servers" TAB make sure that the email address includes the "@gmail.com"

In the same window, make sure that the "My Server Requires authentication" box has a Tic mark in it.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

In Outlook Express, for the problematic account, go to its properties & under the "Servers" TAB make sure that the email address includes the "@gmail.com"

In the same window, make sure that the "My Server Requires authentication" box has a Tic mark in it.

-

Yep. Did that and they're there. Still no joy. Amazing that it's only the one address and it cycles fine through the others.:confused:

Ok, aside from Outlook Express, have you tried the problematic account from within the Gmail interface itself?

You need to confirm that it's working on Gmail before you can eliminate it from the equation.

-

• Advertisement

Ok, aside from Outlook Express, have you tried the problematic account from within the Gmail interface itself?

You need to confirm that it's working on Gmail before you can eliminate it from the equation.

-

No problem logging in online. Ever. Have made sure Pop is enabled etc.

I wonder could it have anything to do with the fact that the original settings for "GMAIL" for POP & SMTP used to be POP.GMAIL.COM & SMTP.GMAIL.COM but they have changed to this now:

Enter your full Google Mail email address (username@googlemail.com) in the 'Email address:' field, and click 'Next.'
    Enter 'pop.googlemail.com' in the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:' field. Enter 'smtp.googlemail.com' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' field.

-

Advertisement