Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2007 irelands bloodiest year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

utick wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fatal-stabbing-ends-our-bloodiest-year-1255194.html

75 murders in one year:(, the previous high was 68 in 2006 looks like its getting worse. gun, and gang murders have fallen since 2006 but i guess that means a higher percentage of the lives lost were innocent people, hopefully 2008 will be better

As in like, 76?..

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

As long as the right kind of people are killing each other then long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

"ah [BLANK] was a good boy, loved by all"

this is on the news way too much, but most of the time they were drug dealing scumbags anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

burn the off licenses!
    BURN THEM

jackasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

12 of this year's victims died as a result of assault, 18 were shot, 37 were stabbed and eight died from other causes,

Can't even blame gang-land trash this year as those numbers were down.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PokerChild

Good to see we are meeting all the international standards of the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

unless somene died on the road yesterday then it was the lowest road death year for 13 ears or something so at least the right people are learning and the wrong people are getting more efficient at getting rid of themselves........its just evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

PeakOutput wrote: »
    unless somene died on the road yesterday then it was the lowest road death year for 13 ears or something so at least the right people are learning and the wrong people are getting more efficient at getting rid of themselves........its just evolution

Yeah but they changed what is counted as road deaths in 2007. For example the two guys whose car went out of control and went off the pier in December is not being counted, and similar deaths to that, even though they happened in a moving car, are not being added to the road death figures.

Road deaths down 9% to 336 this year
    From ireland.comMonday, 31st December, 2007

Road safety campaigners are taking some satisfaction in a significant drop in road death numbers during 2007. Up until yesterday evening, 336 people had been killed on the roads this year, a drop of almost 9 per cent on 2006.

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) says the reduction is a result of measures put in place in the last two years and greater compliance. Its chief executive Noel Brett say the figures show the effectiveness of the first full year of random breathtesting which was introduced in July 2006, stricter drink-driving penalties, greater enforcement by the Garda Traffic Corps and the rolling out of 31 new penalty point offences.

"I'm unhappy that 336 families are without somebody, but I'm pleased we have managed to get a reduction in the last two years and we are sustaining that reduction. The reason for the drop is not just enforcement, but driver behaviour. We have seen huge changes in terms of compliance. The biggest risk now is complacency."

It is now likely that the final figure will be one of the lowest since records began in 1961, and the lowest in absolute terms, given the number of vehicles on the road and the population.

It could even be lower than the 335 figure recorded in 2003 which saw a dramatic fall in road deaths following the introduction of penalty points. Some of the fatalities this year are likely to be recorded as something other than road deaths, including the two eastern European men who drove off a pier in Co Galway earlier this month.

Mr Brett said the RSA is determined to reach the new road safety strategy target of reducing road deaths to around 250 by 2012. He also said that 10,000 learner drivers are being tested weekly at present, and the Government is on course to fulfil its March target of testing all of the the 122,600 drivers who were on the waiting list when the controversial announcement was made in October that second provisional drivers would no longer be able to drive on their own.

The Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey is likely to come under pressure to resign if the backlog of the 120,000 second provisional licence holders waiting to sit their tests in the immediate aftermath of that announcement is not cleared by June 30th.

AA public affairs manager Conor Faughnan said he is optimistic, given the changes planned for next year, that road deaths will drop below 300 for the first time in 2008.

"This year will go down as a very good one relative to the historic number of deaths on Irish roads and relative to our European peers," he said.

"There is reasons to be optimistic about 2008. We are going to see a continuing strengthening of the traffic corps, important reforms in driver training and the possibility of lower drink-driving limits."

Meanwhile, a 40-year-old man died after being struck by a van on Saturday evening.

The man was walking along Blackwood Lane, Portmarnock, north Dublin at 7.15pm when the incident happened.

He was treated by paramedics at the scene and rushed to Beaumont Hospital where he later died. The driver of the van was not injured.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/11882000?view=Eircomnet&cat=Top%20Stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

louth seems to be having issues, someone else was stabbed with a knife or machete last night.
    http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheycwgbauey/

seems like a lot of attacks there in the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah but they changed what is counted as road deaths in 2007.

ah ok thats a bit **** then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The figure for Scotland was 119 for comparison.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The figure for Scotland was 119 for comparison.

How many of those were battered Mars Bar related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

How many of those were battered Mars Bar related?
    heh, I read that as "battered by Mars Bars"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's scary the amount of people getting away with these kind of crimes. We probably pass them every day on the street, or reply to their posts on boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I would have though maybe 1798, 1916, 1918, 1921, 1922/3 would have been pretty bloody. The 70s as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

dublindude wrote: »
    It's scary the amount of people getting away with these kind of crimes. We probably pass them every day on the street, or reply to their posts on boards...

or maybe they reply to your posts

Im going with the increased population having a marked effect on the number of fatalities in the previous year

Damn immigrants is there anything we cant blame them for!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Part of the increase is down to people who would previously have joined the IRA and killed people up north are now just freelancing. Then there are former IRA members freelancing.

Other things are the increase in the population of young people and the free availability of alcohol and other drugs disinhibiting people. Religion also is a factor - I think it was in the 1950s that in one year there was only 3 murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Karlusss wrote: »
    I would have though maybe 1798, 1916, 1918, 1921, 1922/3 would have been pretty bloody. The 70s as well.

and Karlusss swoops in and wins the thread!

/ can we lock now?

It doesn't count if you kill people for a cause. That's the great thing about having beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah but they changed what is counted as road deaths in 2007. For example the two guys whose car went out of control and went off the pier in December is not being counted, and similar deaths to that, even though they happened in a moving car, are not being added to the road death figures.

Kind of off topic, but interesting. So essentially the RSA are cooking the books to try and meet the targets? Hang on, let me get my pitchfork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whoah! Stall the pitchforks.

The rule used is road traffic collision on a public road.

The farmer on a bicycle in a field at the start of the year doesn't count, so ask yourselves does a drowning count, with all the relevant facts unknown to us.

Its quite common for the figures to be adjusted up or down by one or two once better facts are established - for example if someone has a heart attack while driving and dies, it looks like a car accident. Post mortem and coroners inquest might decide differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

back on topic...is anyone actually surprised by the findings.i mean it seems like every day theres anothere murder investigation being started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Victor wrote: »
    Whoah! Stall the pitchforks.
    The rule used is road traffic collision on a public road.

So what about a hedgerow? If i hit a tree, is it a forestry death?

I understand that each case is different, and I don't know the specifics of this one. I'm just saying that it's easy to show a reduction in road deaths if you can manipulate which deaths are reported as road deaths. The same is true of crime figures.

As to the original topic, no surprise here. More people in the country. No new approach to policing. No change in the overall trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There was a case a few years ago in the UK where a car driver slept at the wheel, and crashed down an embankment onto a railway track. An express train ploughed into it and derailed killing 10 people. It was classed (stupidly) as railway deaths rather than road deaths.

I would imagine that the as the population of the country increases the actual number of deaths will increase. Has anybody looked at the murders per head of population and how this compares to other countries. I know the West of Scotland (where I live) has an horrendous figure.

Advertisement