Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP on iPod Touch

Options
  • 01-01-2008 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Just got the new SIP-VoIP app running on my iPod touch, its sweet.
    I put in my blueface account details and rang my desk phone, works, sound is good, now all I need is a microphone for the touch (note its a "touch" not "itouch", it annoys me ;) ), I put in an order with the makers of the app for their microphone when it comes available.

Can't wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

i really haven't paid much attention to this app, although i saw it on Engadget a few minutes ago and was interested. Do you feel like telling us a bit more about it? I'm just too lazy right now to go looking into it now myself!! What do you need other than the app? What kind of account do you need? Are there any charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

What you need:
    Jailbroke iPod touch, the app, a pair of earphones, and a microphone (at present only way to get this is to mod a microphone for a previous version of an ipod)

Oh and a voip account. I got rid of eircon from home a couple of years ago because I do not agree with the "line rental", and got a blueface account.

Install the app from the installer (its called sip-voip).
    Start it, then put in your account settings (for me it was my blueface login details and sip.blueface.ie as the service).
    Click on the phone link and dial, for instance its +35387XXXXXXX to dial a mobile number.
    Call works as a normal phone call would apart from the fact the touch doesn't have a mic yet, oh and the call is mono, only sound from the left earphone at present.

Charges depend on your service, you need to check each provider, there are supposed to be some free ones but I don't know of any in Ireland. My account does give me free calls to plenty of countries though.

So once I get the microphone I ordered, I'll post how its working :)

cool i'll give it a look tonight so, thanks

from what i gather Skype doesn't work with it at all. So we're gonna have to pay for a decent provider (blueface by the looks of it).

hey lafors, i just got it working (without a microphone though), was just wondering have you looked into getting a microphone that's already available or is there's the only one that'll work? It's a pretty great app either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

amull87 wrote: »
    hey lafors, i just got it working (without a microphone though), was just wondering have you looked into getting a microphone that's already available or is there's the only one that'll work? It's a pretty great app either way.

People seem to be modding the presently available mic from walmart for the
    5g ipod.

I put in a pre order for one from the voip app makers....
    http://touchmods.net/touchmods/preorder/

Dunno when I'd get it though.

Advertisement