Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route creation with multiple waypoints

Options
  • 31-12-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

If I have a list of locations, defined by lat/long coordinates, do any of the common sat navs support uploading the list and creating a journey with proper autorouting?

Failing this, is it possible to create route offline as a test or xml file and upload it to the satnav? I get the impression that Garmin makes the most flexible units for this sort of thing, but I'm a total n00b to all of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yoman

gerryk wrote: »
    If I have a list of locations, defined by lat/long coordinates, do any of the common sat navs support uploading the list and creating a journey with proper autorouting?

Failing this, is it possible to create route offline as a test or xml file and upload it to the satnav? I get the impression that Garmin makes the most flexible units for this sort of thing, but I'm a total n00b to all of this.

Yes - The Garmin Nuvi 760 will do this for you.

Go to Tools ->Routes ->New ->New -> Add Starting point ->CoOrdinates

Do the same for the end point and I think you can save up to 10 different routes - This was the main reason I sold my Nuvi 660 for this nice piece of kit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I'm presuming that this is done on the device itself... is it possible to upload a list of locations through which the journey should take place rather than entering them manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It can be done but it can get a bit messy depending on what format your coordinates are in. Basically, the nuvi can import a route (an ordered list of waypoints) in GPX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPX_%28Data_transfer%29) format. You can create this using 3rd party software and just copy it to the nuvi by hand and import it, or use Garmin's Trip and Waypoint manager software to upload it, and then import it.

Advertisement