Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GM Jobs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've always wondered what its actually like being a GM. Can you be a smart ass when people ask you stupid questions, or do you have to follow a specific procedure.

Maybe i'll send in a CV to see what they are offering. Wonder what the money is like...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

They are trying to get GMs here this ages. Up in swords there was recruiting going on.

You just sit at a computer and have a team of GMs with a team lead with you.

You rarely need to log in on a character and most talking to players is done via a dos-like chat client.

Not 100% on that tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Money is apparently 20k too. Good for a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

A friend of a friend took that job less than a year ago.
    Its not all fun and games apparently, you work long hours for that pay, sometimes 12 hour days. Which you spend sitting at the comp the entire time. GM's cannot get away with much, servers have a complete chat log of everyone and actions and if you do play wow and become a GM, you will naever want to play the game again (Might be a nice cure for the real addicts).
    I heard some crazy storys but one of the worst (and possibly more unsual) parts of the job is the suicidal peeps.
    People actually log tickets and tell the GM they are feeling suicidal/going to kill themselves, ofc some of these are just pranks but GM's have written procedure on dealing with them and they must treat all of them seriously, even if they are pretty sure its a prank. why? because if some kid did kill themselves, Blizzard would be in deep sh*t.
    I read a blog of an ex GM about a year ago, wasnt sure it was true, but after hearing the friends experience I believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

Yea i went for that job about a year ago
    they told me all sorts of stuff even about dealing with suicide threats
    and pedo's and all sorts i was what whaaa ! :eek:

They did show me all the stuff they can which was fun but yea would definitly put you off wanting to play the game the shifts are long and you deal with american customers if your working from the place here in ireland its in swords but i dont know if was supose to disclose that oops :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

The "one" in Swords has closed down as Blizzard have ended their contract, hence them opening a place in Cork. Its pretty much common knowledge these days.

The job was/is fine, to be totally honest, the problem is/was the hours. Though that is something that Blizzard stated they would address in Cork.

I still have my doubts mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Wonder what it would be like with GOA for Warhammer Online in dublin?

Advertisement