Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD/DIVX Player

Options
  • 31-12-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for a dvd player that plays divx, and has a usb slot. Also to play dvd r/rw. Anyone know of any cheapies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

lidl may have some of these left :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055190270&highlight=lidl+dvd

BTW: both the xbox 360 and the PS3 now play DivX and have usb connections .. if you need an excuse to buy one of em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

zod wrote: »
    lidl may have some of these left :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055190270&highlight=lidl+dvd

BTW: both the xbox 360 and the PS3 now play DivX and have usb connections .. if you need an excuse to buy one of em!

I have both consoles and they don't play all DivX files. Go with a dedicated player, or even better a Media Player. Not sure of prices but it'll save you the hassle of burning discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is a Plustron DVD player in Dunnes for €35 that plays DIVX discs. No USB port though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

It says MPEG 4 Playback. That does not guarantee DivX full compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Currys have a range of brand name DVD players (Sony & Goodmans) that will play DivX's and have USB ports. €75 or so, not a bad price for a bricks and mortar shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

I got one of the Lidl ones and it's the business, very impressed with the divx playback quality aswell as normal dvds via HDMI. And I am comparing this to my €700 Marantz dvd player!

I would definitely wait if I was you but if you are in a rush then Philips are meant to do a decent one for €99 in Powercity, check out www.avforums.com for more feedback.

Also in regard to Xbox 360 and PS3 playing divx, I think you would have to be mad to waste expensive consoles on watching divx's, especially when you can get a stand alone player from lidl for €60!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

hold the fone, since when can PS3 do divX files.

is this a recent hardware upgrade or do I just need the newest firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Didnt read it, but there is more info in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202689

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Also in regard to Xbox 360 and PS3 playing divx, I think you would have to be mad to waste expensive consoles on watching divx's, especially when you can get a stand alone player from lidl for €60!!

stop ruining the excuses :D

norbert64 wrote: »
    hold the fone, since when can PS3 do divX files.

is this a recent hardware upgrade or do I just need the newest firmware?

Its a recent firware update on both consoles for which you are automatically prompted when online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

branners69 wrote: »
    Didnt read it, but there is more info in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202689
    zod wrote: »
    Its a recent firware update on both consoles for which you are automatically prompted when online.
    excellent news, cheers you 2. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

The Currys one seems a good price, need a new standard dvd player as well, my current one is acting up a lot these days(about 5 years old ).

Advertisement