Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this separates system?

Options
  • 31-12-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new separates system.
    What do you think of the following?
    B&W 685 Speakers
    Marantz CD6002 CD player
    Marantz PM6002 amplifier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm not a huge fan of B&W speakers, I've always found them a bit unsubtle (except the big 800s). I know Cloney Audio have a pair of second hand Ruark Equinox for €500 which would be several levels about the B&Ws, they also have second hand Sytem Audio 1230s (slim floorstanders) for €450 which would also be a better bet.

The Marantz amp and CD are good but more entry level kit than really good HiFi. Without knowing your budget it's hard to point you towards anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I'm openminded on budget. What would be the ultimate setup? one that wouldn't require upgrading for the forseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I still reckon you should be more specific on you budget for recommendations.Also what type music you listen to,standmount or floorstanding,room dimensions,new or 2nd hand etc.

Music is mostly 80s and 90s pop. Listen to adio as well as cd. Bookshelf speakers ideally. Room is 12 by 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I recently bought some PMC speakers. Haven't hooked them up yet as I'm waiting for the cables to arrive but they are supposed to be fantastic. They're excellent for music and home cinema. I'll be using them with an Onkyo amp. Pricey enough. Can't get them in Ireland so I got them from UK. Exact setup:

PMC FB1+ fronts
    PMC DB1+ rears
    PMC TB2M+C centre
    Onkyo TX-NR905 amp

If you're looking for a music only amp, I hear that Rotel are a brand to go for. Other excellent music speakers are Spendor and Epos. If you want quality, be prepared to spend. Check out avforums for more indepth advice and info.

• Advertisement

thejuggler wrote: »
    Music is mostly 80s and 90s pop. Listen to adio as well as cd. Bookshelf speakers ideally. Room is 12 by 10

You still ain't said your budget:confused:

The budget is not important - I want something that will last me for a good few years so quality is important

The budget is not important - I want something that will last me for a good few years so quality is important

The budget is very important,how do you expect anyone to give any ideas to you if they don't know what you have in mind spending?
    2000/3000/5000/10000/50000 etc? How long is a piece of sting?

then visit Cloney Audio (as the only genuine hifi shop in Ireland) and tell them that. The sky's the limit for hifi, you could get a great S/H system for about €4000 or you could spend €100,000 just as easily. Actually they have S/H Wilson speakers there for about €100,000 if budget is not important.

If you're serious about good quality future proof hifi I might be selling my pre/power amps.

They're a Copland 301 pre amp and a Copland 515 power amp. Both valve/solid state hybrids... warmth and power. There's a remote control an' all! About €1,800 each. PM me as they'll be going on adverts.ie in the next few days.

I'm only selling as I have an option on mono block power amps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement