Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babys with piercings

Options
  • 30-12-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

In town today and saw a baby, couldnt have been more than 6-8 months old with her ears pierced:eek: and her brother of about 2 had his ear pierced too. what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Big Hoopie Earrings are very popular with certain People:rolleyes:Saw a baby wearing them some time back, looked so wrong.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Classy. Travellers?

My ears were pierced at that age, I wouldn't say it was or wasn't classy...it was the 80's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

No,no,no,no,no,no.......I let my daughter make her own mind up if she wanted piercings when she was at an age to do so. I personally don't like it on newborns or younger kids and especially two ears pierced on young boys....

You might as well put make-up on the child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

They sound very posh, being able to afford jewellery for the children like. Must have been from Donnybrook or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

Personally, I think this looks terrible on young children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

jimbo78 wrote: »
    You might as well put make-up on the child.

+ 1

It's my first... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's cultural and no it is not just in the culture of travlers.
    in spain, brazil and portugal it is done so that the the baby girls look different to the boys.

Personally I don't agree with it, see it as tantamount to child abuse and think that it should be as part of a rite of passage into womanhood.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    + 1

It's my first... :)

+1 Mine too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was the last in my class to get mine pierced. I had them done in time to be able to put new earrings in for my Confirmation. Poor babies, I remember it stinging for a few seconds, imagine what the poor babies feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Travellers?

Majority I've seen have been.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    see it as tantamount to child abuse and think that it should be as part of a rite of passage into womanhood.

How did I miss that connection of course it is EXACTLY like starving, beating, molesting and destroying a babys sense of self esteem all rolled up into one!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Was at a cousins daughters christening a few years ago and, as you do, we were all in the pub after the church service for a few sausages, chicken pieces, pints and whatnot (this was around 3pm, me and the cousins went on an all dayer after the kid and her parents had headed home, great craic) All the women/girls in the pub were thronged around my cousin to ooh and aaah at the kid. One rather skangery regular Id know starts off...

Girl "Ah, shes gorgeous. Yil have to ger her ears pierced soon, she will look even better"
    My cousin "Ah no Im not getting that done, it would hurt her"
    Girl "Ah sure what odds, sure she would soon forget about it" :confused::confused:

I should have stubbed a lit fag into her hand and when she roared and asked wtf I thought I was doing replied "ah relax would ya! Sure it doesnt matter, a few months from now you wont even remember it happened" :rolleyes:

Not only are they unecessary but the vast majority are utter rubbish, really cheap looking rusty gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

I have seen quite a number of female babies 6 months plus with ears pierced. Most were not from Traveller community. These were fashion statements rather than cultural markings.
    I was 40 before I had the courage to get my ears pierced as a birthday gift to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Personally I wouldnt have it done on my kids at a young age, I think its tacky

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's cultural and no it is not just in the culture of travlers.
    in spain, brazil and portugal it is done so that the the baby girls look different to the boys.

Personally I don't agree with it, see it as tantamount to child abuse and think that it should be as part of a rite of passage into womanhood.

Womanhood?
    What about manhood?
    Shouldn't men have the right to have their ears pierced?

Your comment is highly sexist in my opinion.

Terry wrote: »
    Womanhood?
    What about manhood?

Did you get your ears peirced as a baby too Terry?

I said personally as it is about my culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Womanhood?
    What about manhood?

Hmmm would depend on if you view getting an ear pierced as a sign of manhood!!!

Reaching puberty, kissing your 1st girl, having your 1st pint, stuff like that would be higher on my list of rites of passage for boys than getting an ear pierced! And yes i do realise ive made 1 or 2 possibly sexist comments in 3 sentences!

• Advertisement

I said personally as it is about my culture.
    Your culture?
    Is that one that excludes men or treats them as second class citizens?

No to the second class citizen, the gods knows where you got that from.
    There are things that men/boys are just naturally excluded from.
    I doubt you are going to get a boy getting his ears peireced to celebrate his first menstruation.

What about his first masturbation?

Ahh, screw it. I'm gonna stop trolling now.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

God those piercing guns hurt!! That must have been horrible for the poor baby! Agree with mad m, I'd leave it until the kid decided for themself. Much the same as I'm not going to cut my kid's hair until they decide they want it done, be they male or female.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Chavs, thats what they are.

Cheap and useless chavs.

What about his first masturbation?

Ahh, screw it. I'm gonna stop trolling now.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Always thought eartags were best suited to livestock.
    Piercings for babies go into the same file as designer baby clothes and child beauty pageants.
    For the benefit of the parents and not the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I know most reputable body piercers in Dublin wont pierce kids under 15/16 years of age. Seen it first hand when i was in a place about 3months ago.

Personally speaking i think its terrible mainly because the kid didnt have the choice. Not to mention the piercing guns, but theyre a whole different story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

piercing gun = bad
    piercing gun + baby = very bad

think it looks awful on a baby, and it's just not right, for so many reasons...
    wasn't allowed get mine done till I was eight and had silver studs or diamondy ones for my communion, and it was a stretch to convince my mam to let me get em done a second time at 15 or 16...I've since got a lot more but anyway...

Is there not some sort of unwritten law saying they can't do that...I guess it could just as easily be done at home, tonnes of people pierce their own ears but an actual piercers or as was in my case a town jewellers doing it should not be allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Babies screaming their heads off is annoying as anything, but when you make them start, BY CHOICE...

Why?

Advertisement