Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome Servicing

Options
  • 30-12-2007 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All

Anyone know of motorhome garages in Dublin where I can get my gas boiler and heater repaired/serviced. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

nagrag wrote: »
    Hi All

Anyone know of motorhome garages in Dublin where I can get my gas boiler and heater repaired/serviced. Tks

Whats wrong with them? I reckon any motorhome dealer that provides servicing should be able to take care of your boiler/heater. As far as I know though the Truma boilers and heaters never need to be actually "serviced". There are no components that need to be looked at on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nagrag

Hey Kol,

I can't seem to get either of them fired up. I have read through all the threads here looking for tricks and tips but can't seem to get it going. As for the heater I can see the electric spark is working and the gas is on but no go. The boiler I can hear a spark and the light stays green for about 7-8 secs but then flicks to red. I have a butane tank and was wondering should I switch it to propane but again from reading a post by Peasant it shouldn't make a difference. All the tanks/pipework is internal and the motorhome is in a shed so I don't think it is the 4 degrees centagrade dump valve. Its my first time to have a motorhome so was just going to go to a garage to learn a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ..if gas is there and the spark is there ...air is the last missing link.

Make sure all chimneys / air vents / ducts are clear and unblocked.

Can't think of anything else right now

Just in case... did you switch on the gas taps for the boiler and heater inside the MH?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

As Kol points out first verify the gas isolation valves are open.
    With the boiler, ensure the vent cover outside is removed, if cover is on it faults out after a couple of seconds.
    The heater, hold down the knob for about 20 seconds and if nothing happens wait a few minutes and try again. Get down on your knees and sniff for gas...
    Butane should be fine as long as the correct regulator is in use.

• Advertisement

Yup

The isolation valves were on and I had screwed off the vent cap. The gas cooker works so I guess the gas is getting out from the bottle. Although unusual would there be the possiblity of an airlock? As for the heater I can see the spark flicking away but can't smell gas, should I be smelling gas? The vent for the heater is at the top of the van and is clear.
    :confused:

nagrag wrote: »
    Yup

The isolation valves were on and I had screwed off the vent cap. The gas cooker works so I guess the gas is getting out from the bottle. Although unusual would there be the possiblity of an airlock? As for the heater I can see the spark flicking away but can't smell gas, should I be smelling gas? The vent for the heater is at the top of the van and is clear.
    :confused:

I can't think of anything else at the mo. I'll have a look at mine when I get home. As far as I remember the manual for the heater and boiler says that it can take up to a minute for the gas to reach the ignitor if there was air in the system. I would give both the heater and water boiler a few more trys especially as the cooker is working and you know the gas is going through the lines.

I just checked my heater. It's possible that if you try to start it by just pushing the knob down the ignotor will be clicking but no gas will get through. You must turn the knob abobe the number 1 setting (anticlockwise on mine) to get the gas to flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

My only contribution to this, would be to check that there is nothing blocking the Vents/chimney when you remove the cowl from the outside of the van (water heater won't operate with the cowl on) - I had trouble geting my Truma water heater to work until I sussed this out.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

And if all else fails, it's the fault of the famous truma spider :D

No joke ...according to truma spiders like to get into the long "tunnels" of the air vents and like to build their nest right at the end, at the burner. Thus they block the gas outlet enough for either the spark not to ignite at all or the flame not to get to the right height and die an insignificant death shortly after ignition :rolleyes:.

See if you can get at the burners to give them a good clean (no idea how you would get there though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

How about the fridge, is it igniting? Shot in the dark but if you strike this up it might pull a bit of air from the line, might also tell it if it's airlocked too.

ohhh as far as the fridge goes I have no idea, figured as it was wintertime I would have a look at the heating etc first. The van is with its part owner this weekend so will have to have a look next week. tks

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I had trouble with my boiler and it was resolved by breaking the gas line at the joint into the boiler and letting the gas run for a second or 2.....basically I had an airlock in the gasline. When the line was reconnected, it fired up first time.

Just be careful with gas in the atmosphere;)

Yea I think i'll try that, thanks Malta

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi ,
    just had a go at the gas boiler have had the motorhome/ van nearly a year and got the boiler going today.Now the heating always worked and the boiler was clicking off the red light showing.
    1 I let the heating run for a while at full blast
    2 turned the blown air fan on full
    3 turned on the tap

turned the temp up full reset the boiler a few times and the water started to heat.Picture.jpg

Advertisement