Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help with buying flowers......!!

Options
  • 30-12-2007 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Ok lads, im in a situation. I want to get my girlfriend a bouquet of flowers for our 1 year anniversary next week because i think she will really like them. I hear roses are the way forward, so i have a few questions as follows.....

1.What colour roses should i get??(Apparently different colours say different things!!)
    2.How many should be in the bouquet??(12?)
    3.Should i get the flowers sent to her or give them to her myself????
    4. How much should i expect to pay???

Thanks..........
    P.S. PLEASE HELP!!!!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw bless! Sorry, sorry for being condescending. I don't mean to be, I just think it's a really cute post!
    Look, there's no set way to buy/present flowers. Getting them delivered is a bit nicer though because it's unexpected etc. Yeah, get them delivered. Never heard about different meanings for different rose colours - those kind of "rules" are a load of arse anyway. Ignore. And roses are beautiful but a bouquet of various types of flower would be highly appreciated too. Go into a good florist and ask them to make up an arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Look for a florist that does Interflora, it's the flower delivery service. Often they have folders with pictures of bouquets that can be made. You can start with one of those, then change it slightly, ie more pink, etc.

Flowers aren't cheap, but they're a lovely present, especially when unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Go to interflora.ie, pick something a little different. Spend about €70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Just pull the flowers out of someones garden. It's the thought that counts, right.......right?!......RIGHT? :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like Dudess says, go to a good florist and they'll advise you how to go.

Usually for 12 rose's you'll pay anything from €50-€70 (don't pay more) and thats including delivery.

A mixed bouquet will cost you around €40- and is usually way better value.

But the rose's are a lovely way to say 'I love you'.

Now just wait until Pighead and the gang see this thread!..

Oh, finally. Make up a little verse to go on the card (with the flowers), girls love that sort of ol' rubbish ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I often get about €50 worth of a mix of flowers including lillys. They always turn out very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

My advice?

Flowers die - get a decent bouquet but nothing mad expensive, and get them delivered to her job, women love other women seeing that they're loved....essential...

Madflowers do the job...

Try this on for size....

Just don't buy her white lillies...i learned this the hard way...

Key points to note, get them delivered and flowers die

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Just pull the flowers out of someones garden. It's the thought that counts, right.......right?!......RIGHT? :eek: :(
    Yeah...riiight.

hairyfish wrote: »
    Flowers die - get a decent bouquet but nothing mad expensive, and get them delivered to her job, women love other women seeing that they're loved....essential...
    Some women love this, some women hate this(But secretly love it?).
    Just don't buy her white lillies...i learned this the hard way...
    Unless she likes white lillies (These women exist. My ex was one of them.)

OP: You have some suggestions. After 1 year, you should know her preferences. The flowers are the easy part, it's the verse you have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

Arent white lillies like what you get people for funerals and such...?? an ex wasnt impressed when i bought them however...

"Oh gosh this is so embarrassing, im going so red!" *i hope everyone see's that i got flowers delivered and am loved, god i hate that tina in accounts got engaged, this will take away her thunder for a minute or too....* "oh my i am going to SO kill my boyfriend!!"

Thats how it rolls in my head anyways...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

If you're going to buy them in a florists make sure
    when you leave the shop to punch the very first bloke
    you see lest any other males who see you think you're
    some kind of limp wristed flower arranger:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hate Roses, they are so unimaginative. But that's just me.

WindSock wrote: »

You strike me as a cactus lover. (I'll leave that one to your imaginations)
    Flowers in general are unimaginative, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Just ask the florist, they are the pros!

I like potted orchids...if anyone is buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

1 Red roses are for love...
    2 twelve in a boquet is fine.
    3 Get them delivered get them to handwrite the card, Saying something sweet and calling her by her pet name.... make sure it goes to her work...
    4 €70 should be the maximum.

If you dont think roses will suit, get them to make up a nice mixed bouquet in the florist, to be honest they last longer and look more expensive, you get a lot more value...

Best of luck, and well done for making it to one year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Why not buy a boquet of sweets?? She can eat them... and they won't die!!

http://www.candybouquet.ie/shop/about_us.php

And they're pretty to look at!!

Why not buy a boquet of sweets?? She can eat them... and they won't die!!

http://www.candybouquet.ie/shop/about_us.php

And they're pretty to look at!!
    Then he has to put up with her bitching and moaning that she's fat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

She'll be secretly delighted.

That she's fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

WindSock wrote: »

I like tulips.

What's better than flowers on your piano? Tulips on your organ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just take a trip to the graveyard, for some reason people are always leaving flowers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Karoma wrote: »
    That she's fat?

We've no evidence to suggest the OP's GF isn't already fat and happy with it.

Indeed the OP himself might be a chubby chaser in which case a KFC family bucket might be worth considering too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I like tulips.

What's better than flowers on your piano? Tulips on your organ.
    aren't tulips for a funeral ?

Origami - paper flowers ftw :D
    different coloured paper and maybe a little purple

if you think it's too cheap - make them out of fivers or tenners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

You really cant go wrong with red roses, which mean I love you, yellow roses mean I am sorry, and lilies mean.. sorry for your loss.

Yellow roses are also for friendship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 carrig2007

Some great advice there lads. Found the one about taking them from a graveyard particularly funny but i dont think i'll go that way.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Probably too late to give my two cents but anyway!
    If she's a traditional kind of girl, a nice Grand Prix rose (smell nice) hand tie, a dozen is plenty cause theyre pretty big, with some gyp and some white lillies if you like them...
    I would appreciate that, but that would show that my bf doesnt know me. I love tulips and gerberas (very colourful) and freesia (smell nice).
    Depends on the gal! Brownie point bonus for the work delivery thing, but again, Id hate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lisa - "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."
    Bart - "Not if they were called 'Stink Blossoms'."
    Marge - "I wouldn't want a dozen 'Stink Blossoms' for Valentines Day. Some candy would do just fine."
    Homer - "Not if they were called 'Scum Drops'."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the nearest cemetery is great for finding flowers fitting to the occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Lisa - "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."
    Bart - "Not if they were called 'Stink Blossoms'."
    Marge - "I wouldn't want a dozen 'Stink Blossoms' for Valentines Day. I'd rather have candy"
    Homer - "Not if they were called 'Scum Drops'."

Fixed.

Advertisement