Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maxtor one touch external hd failure

Options
  • 30-12-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

I'm normally pretty good when it comes to computers but I freak out when its my own data at risk, so help and advice please.

My usb external maxtor one touch drive seems to have failed, it makes the clonking sound now and again. When I plug it in "My computer" seems to lag alot while the drive is being read, it takes forever to read. If its eventually read it shows up as a Local Disk, not a removable disk (which it is). It doesn't show a filesystem or what size the disk is etc. If I try to open the drive it freezes for a while then asks me to format it.

I've 250GB+ of data on it, around 20GB of very important stuff I cannot loose and could never replace - work files etc.

Sometimes it does the autoplay scan when connected - other times it doesnt.

I've removed the drive from the external bay and plugged it into an icy box - no joy there, also plugged it in directly to the computer - no joy either.

Whats my options? Should I format and risk loosing the data then try to recover? Is there an app/diagnostic tool I can use to fix this (i've tried a few). At the end of the day I dont give a stuff if the drive is knackered after this I just need the data off it then i'll be lobbing the disk at a brick wall for the trouble its caused me :D

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Easeus Data Recovery. If it's there this will recover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

£55 on software, I hope its money well spent - so far so good its finding some files (I can't see what yet though) but hopefully i'll know more in 4hrs after the scan

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

managed to recover some, most of the important stuff anyway woohoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

go thru the drive with the first program then try pcinspector file recovery,its free download,see www.pcinspector.de
    there should be a sticky here, progs to recover data from hds /external drives.ITS handy to free up space first on drive c, dl ccleaner free prog,cleans UP DRIVE C,free up at least 2.5gig on c if you can,shut down progs like itunes etc while be4 you start file recovery.be careful,read the faq before using this prog.

Advertisement