Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows (5423fdc38e2b0ec6249d2d0d23d) folder

Options
  • 30-12-2007 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

while doing a microsoft update i noticed my computer stalling briefly for a couple of seconds and then without anything being done my external hard drive started getting written to i noticed 5423fdc38e2b0ec6249d2d0d23d folder and i cant seem to get the right keywords for google to give me an answer... can anyone tell me what this was?

Now that kind of rubs me up the wrong way when windows goes and installs its own little progs on drives that it has no business being in and shouldnt need to be so i used unlocker to remove the folders (came up with a bunch of errors but worked)

can anyone confirm what this folder was? ive seen something simliar on my computer before but never knew where it came from (and incase this was an encryption of sensitive information ive changed a few of the characters)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It could be a log file or something like that. If it is it was probably put on the external so that if anything happened to the windows install you could take a look at the log file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Sounds like an offline folders problem (c:\windows\cache or csc?) .. do you use that feature at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sparkicks

no but i had 5 updates running 2 were graphics which went through fine... 3 failed updates were the .net updates and the genuine cert whatever program so i wondered was it some sort of rootkit or spy program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Most likely the temporary folder windows creates when downloading the updates so. Nothing to worry about I'd say, but you could always try a hijack this! report to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is there any files in the folder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Kali wrote: »
    Most likely the temporary folder windows creates when downloading the updates so. Nothing to worry about I'd say

Correct and Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sparkicks

why was it installing it on my external hard drive then as apposed to my primary hard drive... ?

btw yeah there was... what looked like a bunch of dlls a few exes + folders and some other random files i only glanced at it briefly so i cant be 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Happens to me as well, whenever I start installing updates or applications that require an temporary cache it's always saved on my external. No idea why, my guess is because it has the most free space out of all my partitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

irlrobins wrote: »
    Happens to me as well, whenever I start installing updates or applications that require an temporary cache it's always saved on my external. No idea why, my guess is because it has the most free space out of all my partitions.

Windows ain't that smart ;) It's probably a bug that they are claiming to be feature :D

I think a thread like this was made a few months ago. Same thing. It's just a temp folder created by windows.

Advertisement