Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped out of UCD- What do I tell UCAS?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Hi

Applying for Human Nutrition in Coleraine. In 04 I did Food Science for a year, passed but did not return.

Am I required to mention this at all? If not, should I?

I'm wondering if it would look bad that I left, as I've only barely got the grades I don't wanna mess things up further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

my bro was inthe same situation as you, he did arts in ucd and also dropped out, he now does architecture in queens, he didnt mention that he dropped out and he was also a bit below the required grades and he got in, so i wouldnt mention it, but thats just my opinion. i hope you dont mind me asking but i was just wondering why do you think a degree in food science in coleraine will be better suited to you than one in ucd.

i hope this helps

regards

regob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You could mention it in your PS if you want but you're not obliged to tell them. Also as you passed but dropped out it suggests that the course itself wasn't the issue so I doubt it would make them question your abilities. Do you know what the competition for places is like on that course?

Depending on why you left it could add weight to your application..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually slightly above the required grades rather than below but only just about.

In Coleraine it's Human Nutrition & Food Science in UCD. Food science is more to do with food production/quality control & a small bit of nutrition but I want to be a public health nutritionist & work with people directly.

I took a leave of abscence for personal reasons but it wasn't really possible/conveniant to return the following year. I was also concerned that I was gonna have a degree that would only lead to Jobs I wasn't interested in.
    I'm basically afraid that if I mention it it might look bad on paper & I won't be accpeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually slightly above the required grades rather than below but only just about.

In Coleraine it's Human Nutrition & Food Science in UCD. Food science is more to do with food production/quality control & a small bit of nutrition but I want to be a public health nutritionist & work with people directly.

I took a leave of abscence for personal reasons but it wasn't really possible/conveniant to return the following year. I was also concerned that I was gonna have a degree that would only lead to Jobs I wasn't interested in. I only have 425 points so the nutrition course offered by DIT wasn't an option.

I'm basically afraid that if I mention it it might look bad on paper & I won't be accpeted.

hoenstly if i were in your shoes i wouldnt mention it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

The only reason why you have to mention dropping out here is because of the fees. This doesn't apply in the UK so don't bother and definitely don't mention it in your PS. Can you imagine if there is only one place and the admissions team are looking at your PS and someone else which is very similar to yours except that you have mentioned that you dropped out. They're gonna pick the other guy as dropping out may show lack of commitment. It'll look negative anyway and it's very hard to fit in all the details. I dropped out and didn't mention it on my application but stupidly mentioned it at my interview when they asked me about a difficult decision. Well I'll see what the outcome is come the end of January.

Good luck with your application :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the replies, gonna keep mum about it now. One other thing, I have my contact from school who's gonna give me a reference. Do I have to have this in writing & apply by snailmail or can I type it into the application, apply online & give contact details on the application?

I assume you're applying as an individual. There's a reference section, you just copy and paste it in there. Contact details necessary as well. No need to fill in the dates available for interview section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dvir

hi
    check out new course in cork ucc leads directly to masters in nutrion, will save ya fees contact cork admissions and see will they transfer ya onto that course ...unlikely but worth a try ..see www.qualifax.ie

Hi all,

Once again thanks for all the replies. I decided not to say anthing in the end. I got offered an unconditional place today.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hi all,

Once again thanks for all the replies. I decided not to say anthing in the end. I got offered an unconditional place today.:D
    How much will you give us to keep quiet? :D

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Congratulations :) I mentioned it at my interview when they asked me about a difficult decision but I got an offer anyway too :D

Advertisement