Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playback of 640x360 files on HDTV?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey guys

I have alot of TV series / DVD movies on my PC. They are mostly in .avi format, and I think 99.9% are divx or xvid.

Their image resolution is always 640 (width) x 360 (height), or something close to that figure like 624 x 352.

When I play these videos back through my old 21 inch SDTV via composite cable (using xbox as media centre), the quality is really good. It looks to me like it matches DVD perfectly, or if not then closely enough for me to not really be able to see any difference.

However, if I upgrade to a 26 inch 720p HDTV for example, will all these videos start to look noticeably worse? If they do, then I might consider just getting a bigger widescreen SDTV with RGB because I don't really want my entire movie collection to look poor just because I upgraded to a fancy pants television.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-definition_television

Take a look at the above , SD on this side of the pond is 704 x 576 lines , in america its 704 x 480 , bog standard VGA is 640 x 480 , so your collection is low definition indeed.

That content will not look good on any bigger screen , HDTV or not. You should be alright with a 26 inch , but in future , I recommend being a bit more choosy about your content and where you get it.

Advertisement