Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-fi won't play CDs.

Options
  • 29-12-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

My Hitachi AX-M80 stereo system recently stopped playing CDs. It was a gradual thing at first, where I'd often have to try CDs a couple of times before they'd actually play, but eventually it got to the stage where it would read nothing at all, and just display "Err" when I put in any CDs. It tries to read them for a while but then displays "Err". I had a similar problem with an old hi-fi and I was able to rectify this by cleaning the lens, but on my current one it doesn't even read the lens cleaner disc. I got it to work after trying it multiple times one night, and for a while it played CDs just fine. However, the next morning it was back to the way it was before. I used the lens cleaner a few more times but it didn't last any time I tried. I've cleaned the inside of it out, manoeuvred it, banged it, everything, but it's still not working correctly. The radio and tape functions still work fine. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 +Jim+

Hi,
    Dismantle the unit (having first powered it off of course).
    Find the Lens.
    Use meths/nail-varnish remover and a cotton bud to clean it carefully.
    Reassemble.
    There you go.

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

+Jim+ wrote: »
    Hi,
    Dismantle the unit (having first powered it off of course).
    Find the Lens.
    Use meths/nail-varnish remover and a cotton bud to clean it carefully.
    Reassemble.
    There you go.

Jim.

Not a good idea - nail varnish remover (acetone) will melt the plastic lens and totally destroy the unit. I use a screen wipe - the ones you buy for cleaning lcd screens - wrapped over a cotton bud. Use the other end of the bud to dry the lens GENTLY !! Alternatively there are plenty of lens cleaning kits in the likes of HMV or pound stores.

It's also possible that the laser is down on power and ready for the bin though.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, I'll give the lens wipe a go. If I've no luck I think I'll have to invest in a new one! Cheers.

Advertisement