Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Drive won't recognise any cd's

Options
  • 29-12-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My dvd drive (E drive) wont recognise any cd's or dvd's that I put into it!:eek: It is the only optical drive on the computer, any idea's what the problem is? I'm running windows xp SP2 and its a packard bell I bought in pcworld in January of last year. I tried a lot of cd's in it to no avail, tried using command promt. Any help would be greatly appreciated, do I need to re-install the drivers? I dont have any cd for them but I'm sure I can get em off a website if I need to.

Thanks,

Darragh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There shouldn't be any drivers required for a DVD/CD drive. Is there any LED flashing when you put in a CD, is it trying to read at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

There is a green Light flashing as it always did, and it makes the usual noise of trying to read it but the computer doesnt change at all, e drive is empty according to the computer, where I had a dvd in the drive, then I put in drivers for the new printer, and now I have a flight sim cd and still no luck with it. Should I bring it back to the shop or can it be fixed by me do ye reckon? I have a good enought knowlege of how a computer operates etc...but I'm no computer technician so what would ye reccomend?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is the IDE cable connected correctly?

Jays I dont know know, Ill check it out. I have ta head to a funeral now so I'll dismantle it when I get back and let y'all know!:D
    Darragh

So I checked it out, and the cable is connected, I disconnected it and reconnected it just to be sure! will I bring it back to the shop altogether? its very strange what is happening.
    Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did it ever work?

If it did, what have you changed in the PC since it last worked?

Yes it did, just I dont really use it that much, I use my comp for flight sims that dont need a cd and internet use. I noticed a change on startup, it would say "verifying DMI pool data............." or something like that, that could be something to do with it, as I said, I'm no expert so that really means nothing to me, and pc world are impossible to get hold of on phone for some reason today.:mad:

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

go to 2 euro shop,or tv shop,buy cd lens cleaner disk.use a very small amount of liquid on the disk brushes.follow instructions.then open cdtray.leave open,2 let liquid dry off then cdromlens,wait 10.15 mins and try to play a music cd,or mp3disk.97percent of time its the cd/dvd lens, dvdlens cleaners can be bought in appolo moore st .5euro, if its a dvdrom drive.cdcleaners cost 2euro in appollo.

I tried that and no joy Im afraid.
    The man in pcworld said reboot it byt pressing f11 and to save everything onto a cd.....not very easy seen as Thats the problem-I cant use cd's!!!! anyway, will I reboot it and save to an external hard drive? wha would you guys reccomend?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

make sure that ide cable to dvdrom.is really tight all the way in 2 motherboard connector.ill give you a working cdrom drive for free if u want it,pm me.a new dvdrom drive is 20euro in marx pcs etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the offer mate, but I have a technician coming out on Friday now to fix it, its still under gaurantee thank god! by 6 days!! I'll let ye all know what was wrong when I find out.

Thanks for all your help, everybody, your a all a very helpful bunch of people.

Thanks again,
    Darragh

Advertisement