Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 610

Options
  • 29-12-2007 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I got a Garmin 610 as a present for Christmas.(any general comments on this device?)
    I was thinking of getting a GPS unit anyway so this is ideal.
    I've had a quick read through this forum and am trying to learn what "extras" I can use this device for and indeed how I can update it.
    I have a few queries and would be grateful for some help.
    1. I assume the maps I have on it are the most recent available. I also assume they are just UK and Ireland. How do I get more maps (Spain,France and Andorra specificilly) and how can I update my existing ones(if needed)?
    2. These POI's...is it just a matter of following the sticky to download them and install them on the GPS Unit?
    Any help or comments appreciated,
    Kippy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

kippy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got a Garmin 610 as a present for Christmas.(any general comments on this device?)
    I was thinking of getting a GPS unit anyway so this is ideal.
    I've had a quick read through this forum and am trying to learn what "extras" I can use this device for and indeed how I can update it.
    I have a few queries and would be grateful for some help.
    1. I assume the maps I have on it are the most recent available. I also assume they are just UK and Ireland. How do I get more maps (Spain,France and Andorra specificilly) and how can I update my existing ones(if needed)?
    If they are not already installed, the Europe maps can be very expensive. You can look at the Garmin website for details, but AFAIK the extra maps can be as much as €200. It's why it's always best to get the unit with the full Europe maps preloaded,
    2. These POI's...is it just a matter of following the sticky to download them and install them on the GPS Unit?
    Any help or comments appreciated,
    Kippy
    You can also create your own with a Garmin. There's a free download available from the Garmin Website called POI loader. You create a file with your POI's in it as a CSV file with notepad or excel or whatever and just transfer them to the Garmin through the USB cable. I use Google Earth to get the lattitude/longtitude of POI's I want to upload.

If you don't have a USB cable, you can just use a standard mini USB cable like the ones on digital cameras, motorola mobile phones etc. Don't buy the Garmin one, it's a complete rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers,
    I have a bad feeling that only the UK and Ireland maps are preloaded.
    I'll double check that.
    I believed that this unit is towards the more expensive range available and was wondering why this is the case. If the EU maps aren't loaded I'll be a bit peeved,
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah, costs about €300. Nuvi 660 has european maps, it's about €100/150 extra AFAIR

got one myself and one for my father too.

they have bluetooth (big plus) which allows you to send/read txt messages and make calls/view your phonebook etc... plus they have a nice big non glare screen which is the business for the big fingered dudes like us.

they also have traffic alerts via FM radio, not sure if they'll be much use in Ireland (i.e. not sure if there'll be up to date updates :rolleyes: ).

apart from that, it has picture viewer, currency converter, mp3 player etc.. nice and slim with the best maps of Ireland installed, plus in built bluetooth - that's why i got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

smemon wrote: »
    yeah, costs about €300. Nuvi 660 has european maps, it's about €100/150 extra AFAIR

Komplett.ie are selling the 660T for €349

Advertisement