Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Question

Options
  • 29-12-2007 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

I've asked this over in the playstation forum and said I'd ask here aswell.

A few questions about getting a connection to the internet on my PS3. I have wireless Eircom broadband.

On the manual Internet Connection Setting its asks for the following:

-Default Router
    -Primary DNS
    -Secondary DNS
    -MTU

Where can I find this information?

Also would you recommend to use a Proxy Server?
    Enable or Disable UPnP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Default Router
    Default Router, is the default gateway which is the IP of your router, (local IP mind you, probably 192.168.x.x. Read your routers manual for that or check the computer you are on the moment providing it the same router. This can be done by typeing cmd in the run command (Click start->click run). Then when you get the black box, type in ipconfig. You can read from this the Default Gateway.

Primary DNS and Secondary DNS can also be checked there, these will be public IP's more than likely.
    - Actually you must type ipconfig /all in the black dos box to find this extra information.

MTU - Take it this is the Maximum Transmission Unit which would be 1500 bytes for ethernet as far as I remember

No don't bother using a proxy. As far as i know UPnP is used for file sharing purposes. Doubt you need this enabled to play games online but no harm enabling it I guess, provided its enabled on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thanks a lot mate. One question I only have one DNS number?

Really? - Usually you should have two.

What ISP are you using? - These should be available from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ON your pc,go to dos prompt ,type ipconfig ,from start/programs,acessorys, command prompt.it,ll give you the info you need.on my xbox,i set it to auto mode,if figured out all settings for xbox live by itself,i inputted no numbers,or ip adress.that commands tells you the main settings for your current isp and net connection.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Really? - Usually you should have two.

What ISP are you using? - These should be available from them.

Nope. I have DNS Servers but there's only one number after it.

Using Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Try checking on your router page. It should tell you all there.

In the address bar of your internet browser type http://192.168.1.254/ and check that out. It may be different for your router but a quick look at the manual or a google on it should tell you.

Other options:

http://192.168.1.1/
    http://192.168.0.1/
    http://192.168.2.1/

And if all comes to all, that you only have one DNS number, ring your ISP, they will sort you out. Presumably :-)

Nope. I have DNS Servers but there's only one number after it.

Using Eircom.
    Yeah nothing wrong with that. Use them.

I typed it all in manually, had all the information and numbers I needed. It succeeded in obtaining the IP address and then failed on the Connection Test?

Surely there is an automatic connection option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Surely there is an automatic connection option?

There is , there is no need to be entering Router , DNS , etc. etc.

Check the settings on your wireless modem , find out what your SSID is , and find out what you password is ( either a WEP key or a WPA PSK key ... second is much better , if your not set up that way I recommend you change it , ...the default with eircom is WEP )

Then go to your ps3 , choose auto when setting up a connection , then it will show a list of SSID's in range of the ps3 , pick your one , enter the pass key and you are done , no fiddling around with routers and DNS and gateways!!

Simple!

• Advertisement

I got sick of trying it on wireless so I tryed it on wired and worked first time:D WOoo

Oh good stuff. I thought you were connecting wired all along! - Should read better

Advertisement